USB CardBus cards - Portable

This is a discussion on USB CardBus cards - Portable ; Hello, Has anyone had success with adding powered USB ports via a CardBus card in Linux? These were the only recommendations I could find. http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=668 http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1185 Thanks, Steve -- http://www.stevebarr.com 100% my opinions....

  1. USB CardBus cards

    --
    http://www.stevebarr.com
    100% my opinions.

  2. Re: USB CardBus cards

    Steve Barr schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
    3nWNa.177781$nr.8152748@twister.southeast.rr.com.. .
    > Hello,
    >
    > Has anyone had success with adding powered USB ports via a
    > CardBus card in Linux? These were the only recommendations
    > I could find.
    >
    > http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=668
    > http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1185

    I am still struggling with that one. I have an USB 2.0 cardbus card which
    advertises itself as "NEC USB" (or something like that, it's not plugged in
    at the moment ...).
    Worked with a NEC laptop and Dell Inspiron 7500 (both on SuSE 8.2 - kernel
    2.4.20) but only if the "kernel" pcmcia subsystem was chosen.
    Haven't got it to work so far on an older IBM laptop (which was the idea
    behind it originally - providing udb ports to a pc that hasn't). It doesn't
    even recognize the inserting of the card.
    Don't know about the "powered" part though - I have tried only with devices
    with very low power consumption.

    HTH
    Martin

  3. Re: USB CardBus cards

    Martin Blume wrote:
    > I am still struggling with that one.

    [....]
    > HTH
    > Martin

    Thanks; it's clear there are a bunch of these cards, just
    knowing which one work with Linux (and how) is the big
    problem.

    Thanks again,

    Steve
    --
    http://www.stevebarr.com
    100% my opinions.

  4. Re: USB CardBus cards

    Hi Steve,

    I have one of these cards that I have had a lot of trouble with on an old
    Pentium 133 laptop. The card I have uses the NEC chipset with one EHCI and
    two OHCI controllers with two ports.

    The problems I've been having are with getting an IRQ to the CardBus
    bridge (due to invalid PCI Routing tables). I had to go to extreme lengths
    to get mine working (using a DOS program that rebuilds the BIOS PCI IRQ
    routing tables, then booting Linux from loadlin).

    If you're using a laptop that does get a PCI IRQ for the CardBus
    controller, then you should be alright, provided that you use a recent
    kernel with the Kernel PCMCIA modules rather than David Hind's PCMCIA-CS
    drivers. Once the PCI IRQs were sorted, all I needed to do was start
    cardmgr to assign the resources to the USB controller and then load the
    corresponding USB modules to get USB working. If your laptop does ACPI,
    then there's an excellent chance that it will work because IRQ assignments
    appear to be more reliable (unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have that
    luxury).

  5. Re: USB CardBus cards

    It looks a very good solution to me if there is, at least, a solution.
    My problem is on lack of PCI slots on my motherboard.
    I need one PCMCIA slot for a PCMCIA type wireless LAN card.
    So, I want to use USB to PCMCIA adapter on Linux.
    Are there any adapters?
    bkna.

    Mr-T wrote:

    >Hi Steve,
    >
    >I have one of these cards that I have had a lot of trouble with on an old
    >Pentium 133 laptop. The card I have uses the NEC chipset with one EHCI and
    >two OHCI controllers with two ports.
    >
    >The problems I've been having are with getting an IRQ to the CardBus
    >bridge (due to invalid PCI Routing tables). I had to go to extreme lengths
    >to get mine working (using a DOS program that rebuilds the BIOS PCI IRQ
    >routing tables, then booting Linux from loadlin).
    >
    >If you're using a laptop that does get a PCI IRQ for the CardBus
    >controller, then you should be alright, provided that you use a recent
    >kernel with the Kernel PCMCIA modules rather than David Hind's PCMCIA-CS
    >drivers. Once the PCI IRQs were sorted, all I needed to do was start
    >cardmgr to assign the resources to the USB controller and then load the
    >corresponding USB modules to get USB working. If your laptop does ACPI,
    >then there's an excellent chance that it will work because IRQ assignments
    >appear to be more reliable (unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have that
    >luxury).

+ Reply to Thread