Re: What Dell notebook is best for Linux? - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: What Dell notebook is best for Linux? - Portable ; bznutz wrote: > Hey all, > > I've decided to retire the Toshiba Satellite and get a real laptop. > I'm gonna go Dell because of their payment plans and reasonable service. > Which line is best supported by Linux? ...

  1. Re: What Dell notebook is best for Linux?

    bznutz wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've decided to retire the Toshiba Satellite and get a real laptop.
    > I'm gonna go Dell because of their payment plans and reasonable service.
    > Which line is best supported by Linux?
    > My desires are integrated ethernet/modem/wi-fi and a cd-burner. I also
    > require high resolution on the screen. I will take pcmcia for the wi-fi
    > if necessary.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    the hell with dell

    to many problems not enought solutions (not only for linux , also for
    payments , get the right product send home etc)

    johan

  2. Re: What Dell notebook is best for Linux?

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:46:34 +0000, Johan wrote:

    > bznutz wrote:
    >
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I've decided to retire the Toshiba Satellite and get a real laptop. I'm
    >> gonna go Dell because of their payment plans and reasonable service.
    >> Which line is best supported by Linux? My desires are integrated
    >> ethernet/modem/wi-fi and a cd-burner. I also require high resolution
    >> on the screen. I will take pcmcia for the wi-fi if necessary.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > the hell with dell
    >
    > to many problems not enought solutions (not only for linux , also for
    > payments , get the right product send home etc)
    >
    > johan

    I don't know about the compatibility of the current crop of Dell laptops
    put I can vouch for the quality of their service. I have a 3 year old
    Inspiron 5000 that I've been running Linux on since I bought it. My screen
    failed just before the 3 year anniversary, I called Dell and they had a
    service guy out to me the next day to fix it (he replaced the screen). All
    things being equal I'd buy a Dell again. The one thing that would
    absolutely change my decision would be if one of the major brands were to
    offer a Laptop without Windoze, I deeply resent having to pay for an OS
    that I don't use. For servers and workstations it's not a problem, you can
    buy or build a system without having to pay for Windows but laptops are
    different, you can't build your own laptop.

  3. Re: What Dell notebook is best for Linux?

    >>> Hey all,
    >>>
    >>> I've decided to retire the Toshiba Satellite and get a real laptop. I'm
    >>> gonna go Dell because of their payment plans and reasonable service.
    >>> Which line is best supported by Linux? My desires are integrated
    >>> ethernet/modem/wi-fi and a cd-burner. I also require high resolution
    >>> on the screen. I will take pcmcia for the wi-fi if necessary.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> the hell with dell
    >>
    >> to many problems not enought solutions (not only for linux , also for
    >> payments , get the right product send home etc)
    >>
    >> johan

    >I don't know about the compatibility of the current crop of Dell laptops
    >put I can vouch for the quality of their service. I have a 3 year old
    >Inspiron 5000 that I've been running Linux on since I bought it. My screen
    >failed just before the 3 year anniversary, I called Dell and they had a
    >service guy out to me the next day to fix it (he replaced the screen). All
    >things being equal I'd buy a Dell again. The one thing that would
    >absolutely change my decision would be if one of the major brands were to
    >offer a Laptop without Windoze, I deeply resent having to pay for an OS
    >that I don't use. For servers and workstations it's not a problem, you can
    >buy or build a system without having to pay for Windows but laptops are
    >different, you can't build your own laptop.

    actually you can but it's more expensive than buying a new one. Well,
    you could last year when i was researching building myself a laptop
    instead of buying one. Not to mention that the selection of laptop
    components available is pretty slim.

    Frank Wilcox, Jr. fewilcox AT earthlink DOT net
    ICQ# 18021285 home.earthlink.net/~fewilcox
    Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
    Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay
    Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine
    and puts them into practice is like a wise man who
    built his house on the rock. (Matt 7:24 NIV)
    HPCode(1.0) - RPS+COS++POA=GOF+++FF+ QA
    CH=DD=HB=HM=PO=TR=