Compaq Presario 2158EA: anyone has problems? - Portable

This is a discussion on Compaq Presario 2158EA: anyone has problems? - Portable ; Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a Compaq Presario 2158EA, it features * AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ @2.0GHz * RAM 256MB DDR * 40GB hard drive * Combo CD-RW/DVDROM * Internal floppy * TFT 15", XGA, with ATi Radeon Mobility ...

  1. Compaq Presario 2158EA: anyone has problems?

    Hi everyone,

    I'm thinking of buying a Compaq Presario 2158EA, it features
    * AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ @2.0GHz
    * RAM 256MB DDR
    * 40GB hard drive
    * Combo CD-RW/DVDROM
    * Internal floppy
    * TFT 15", XGA, with ATi Radeon Mobility M6 (64MB shared w/RAM)
    * Soundblaster Pro compatible

    Has anyone had problems with this machine so far? I'm thinking of
    installing SuSE 8.2 on it.

    Cheers and thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Compaq Presario 2158EA: anyone has problems?

    Since Compaq/HP does not support any other Operating System other than the
    preinstalled Operating System, I suggest you check that all the hardware is
    linux compatible. Of the harware you have listed I have only minor problems
    with the 15" XGA screen. the boot option, vga=791, solved the problem in
    all the distros except SuSE 8.2.

    Here are other problems I have had.

    conexant eth/moden combo card - linmodem drivers work, ethernet works out of
    the box with SuSE 8.2

    USB - uhci type could only get to work with SuSE 8.2

    Distros that I have installed
    Red Hat 5.2 - 8.0
    Mandrake 9.0
    Knoppix 3.2
    SuSE 8.1 - 8.2

    I suggest you take a live version of linux with you when you buy the
    machine, like SuSE or Knoppix. Check their return policy.

    Good Luck - Dennis

    Joćo Batista wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a Compaq Presario 2158EA, it features
    > * AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ @2.0GHz
    > * RAM 256MB DDR
    > * 40GB hard drive
    > * Combo CD-RW/DVDROM
    > * Internal floppy
    > * TFT 15", XGA, with ATi Radeon Mobility M6 (64MB shared w/RAM)
    > * Soundblaster Pro compatible
    >
    > Has anyone had problems with this machine so far? I'm thinking of
    > installing SuSE 8.2 on it.
    >

    > Cheers and thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Compaq Presario 2158EA: anyone has problems?

    Thanks for your help, I'll look carefully into it then.

    Cheers.

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, it was written:
    > Since Compaq/HP does not support any other Operating System other than the
    > preinstalled Operating System, I suggest you check that all the hardware is
    > linux compatible. Of the harware you have listed I have only minor problems
    > with the 15" XGA screen. the boot option, vga=791, solved the problem in
    > all the distros except SuSE 8.2.
    >
    > Here are other problems I have had.
    >
    > conexant eth/moden combo card - linmodem drivers work, ethernet works outof
    > the box with SuSE 8.2
    >
    > USB - uhci type could only get to work with SuSE 8.2
    >
    > Distros that I have installed
    > Red Hat 5.2 - 8.0
    > Mandrake 9.0
    > Knoppix 3.2
    > SuSE 8.1 - 8.2
    >
    > I suggest you take a live version of linux with you when you buy the
    > machine, like SuSE or Knoppix. Check their return policy.
    >
    > Good Luck - Dennis
    >

    > Joćo Batista wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of buying a Compaq Presario 2158EA, it features
    > > * AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ @2.0GHz
    > > * RAM 256MB DDR
    > > * 40GB hard drive
    > > * Combo CD-RW/DVDROM
    > > * Internal floppy
    > > * TFT 15", XGA, with ATi Radeon Mobility M6 (64MB shared w/RAM)
    > > * Soundblaster Pro compatible
    > >
    > > Has anyone had problems with this machine so far? I'm thinking of
    > > installing SuSE 8.2 on it.
    > >

    > > Cheers and thanks in advance.

    "Before I came here I was confused about this
    subject. Having listened to your lecture, I
    am still confused. But on a higher level."
    -- Enrico Fermi
    Joćo Batista [ mailto:joao.batista@desy.de ]
    WWW: http://kdataserv.fis.fc.ul.pt/~jbatista