Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds - Portable ; Hello, can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook for Linux which I may use with 2 hdds? Thanks in advance. Bastian...

  1. Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Hello,
    can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook for Linux which I may use with 2 hdds?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bastian

  2. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Bastian Kruse wrote:

    > Hello,
    > can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook for Linux which I may use with 2
    > hdds? Thanks in advance.
    > Bastian

    Some older IBM ThinkPads, such as the 760E, would support a 2nd HDD, but I
    don't know of any current models. Have you considered USB drives? Some
    newer notebooks support USB 2, which is plenty fast enough for a HHD.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  3. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...6068&storeId=1

    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...4554&storeId=1

    > Steve

    Those require a docking station for the notebook. The 760E could mount a
    2nd drive interally, using an adapter, in the space usually occupied by the
    floppy or CD. I used to have one of those adapters, when I worked on
    ThinkPads at IBM Canada.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  4. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    James Knott wrote:
    > Those require a docking station for the notebook.

    No, they don't. Perhaps you are thinking of the X series.

    > The 760E could mount a 2nd drive interally, using an adapter,
    > in the space usually occupied by the floppy or CD.

    That's similar to what they do on the A, R, and T series.
    For these models, you slide out the CD or floppy drive and
    slide in the HDD adapter. You don't have to open the system,
    though.

    I used the 2nd hdd adapter to copy a linux install from
    the 1st hdd to the one in the adapter using a T30. So it is
    usable from Linux but maybe not bootable (didn't try that).

    Steve
    --
    http://www.stevebarr.com
    100% my opinions.

  5. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Bastian Kruse wrote:

    > Hello,
    > can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook for Linux which I may use with 2 hdds?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Bastian

    Wallstreet, Lombard or Pismo Powerbook with an expansion bay HDD.

    Adam

  6. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Hello James,

    > Some older IBM ThinkPads, such as the 760E, would support a 2nd HDD, but I
    > don't know of any current models. Have you considered USB drives? Some
    > newer notebooks support USB 2, which is plenty fast enough for a HHD.

    Yes I have, but I would prefer a second hdd connecting internally with an adapter.
    Bastian

  7. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Hello,
    thank you Steve, James, Paul and Adam for your suggestions, links and
    comments!
    Thatīs good news.
    Bastian
    P.S. I have just asked the same question in a Toshiba Linux Mailing
    List. I got a reply that somebody has even programmed a tool for
    *hotswapping* the second harddisk (using an adapter, not usb
    connected). So I hotswap the DVD for the second hdd. I found it quite
    amazing since I thought that they use IDE drives, but maybe itīs SCSi
    or some other SCSi/IDE solution.

  8. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Hello,

    > I used the 2nd hdd adapter to copy a linux install from
    > the 1st hdd to the one in the adapter using a T30. So it is
    > usable from Linux but maybe not bootable (didn't try that).

    Thatīs my intention. I would like to dd my primary hdd. If itīs not
    bootable, I hope, I can make it bootable easily, in case the first hdd
    crashes.
    Bastian

  9. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:31:23 -0700, Bastian Kruse wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    >> I used the 2nd hdd adapter to copy a linux install from
    >> the 1st hdd to the one in the adapter using a T30. So it is
    >> usable from Linux but maybe not bootable (didn't try that).

    > Thatīs my intention. I would like to dd my primary hdd. If itīs not
    > bootable, I hope, I can make it bootable easily, in case the first hdd
    > crashes.
    > Bastian

    Neat thread, I just picked up a T23 thinkpad yesterday(neat notebook) and would
    like to do something similar, and it would be nice to know if you can boot
    from the 2nd HDD adapter card, as I would like to keep my windoze
    installation for now (at least until I get all of the peripherals going
    under linux) and have it setup for dual boot from either drive .

    So if you donīt mind let us know what you come up with, I am actually
    going to hold off until I can get a better answer as to whether or not it
    can be booted from (IBM tech support was not very helpful,they basically
    said it should work but would not support it)...

    But since I can get the adapter from the IBM website for $45us I may just
    get it and experiment and if I come up with anything I will share with the
    list...

    on we go

    Doug

  10. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Douglas Cole wrote:

    > Neat thread, I just picked up a T23 thinkpad yesterday(neat notebook) and
    > would like to do something similar, and it would be nice to know if you
    > can boot from the 2nd HDD adapter card, as I would like to keep my windoze
    > installation for now (at least until I get all of the peripherals going
    > under linux) and have it setup for dual boot from either drive .

    While I haven't tried a 2nd hard drive, there's no reason why it shouldn't
    work. My R31 is bootable from either a CD or floppy plugged in. Also,
    you'll likely be putting LILO or other boot manager on the 1st drive.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  11. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    Hello Douglas,
    Iīll let you know, but this may take some time, as the notebook is for
    a girlfriend of mine, who is about to write her phd thesis. She
    gathers information and I donīt know when she will decide on buying
    which model. It may take 4 days or 4 weeks. I assume it wonīt take
    longer than 7 weeks.
    Bastian

  12. Re: Linux notebooks with 2 Hdds

    If you're interested in a Centrino / Pentium M notebook, both the Acer
    800 / 803 and (I think) Samsung X10 models have a swappable storage unit
    for optical drive or 2nd HDD. Both these machines have a good reputation
    and represent the current state of the art.

    One Centrino to avoid is probably the Sony VAIO model with a sealed
    chassis - no tinkering!

    Of course, the wireless function is still not supported by Intel as they
    are in craven mode, but we have faith that this will change.

    Bastian Kruse wrote:
    > Hello,
    > can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook for Linux which I may use with 2 hdds?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Bastian

+ Reply to Thread