Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor? - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor? - Portable ; I have a Dell Latitude c810 laptop. I had Red Hat 7.3 on it. I used the drivers available last year from Nvidia. I dual booted it with XP. Now I just have XP. I'm afraid running Linux, or more ...

  1. Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor?

    I have a Dell Latitude c810 laptop. I had Red Hat 7.3 on it. I used
    the drivers available last year from Nvidia. I dual booted it with XP.
    Now I just have XP.

    I'm afraid running Linux, or more specifically the Nvidia driver for the
    graphics card and monitor on my laptop, has damaged the screen.

    I know that it's possible to damage your screen if when installing Linux
    you select the wrong parameters for the driver/screen. It says so in
    XConfig (I think).

    Whenever I log out of Linux, there is a few moments before the login
    screen comes up. During this time, there is a white screen and there
    are bright, bad things happening in the area of the first few rows of
    pixels at the top of the screen for a few moments. It's clearly a wierd
    thing that shouldn't happen.

    Now, I've noticed (running XP) that along that top area of the screen,
    there is something like we used to call "burn." When we left old CRT
    monitors on the same screen all the time, it got so you could see a
    ghost of that screen even when looking at a different screen. The
    pattern (usually the mac menu at the top) had burned the actual CRT
    pixels.

    This looks just like that. I see a faint ghost of the top of an XP
    window, with zoom box, the close box (X), the minimize box, and the
    outline of the whole top edge of the window. Discoloration (?)
    continues to the left still along that top strip of monitor. This is
    permanent.

    Has the monitor been damaged? I can get it replaced, but will it happen
    again? Anybody know of problems from the Nvidia drivers, or anything
    else that could cause this?

    Thanks for any help,
    Jim

  2. Re: Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor?

    In article , Jim Kroger wrote:

    > I know that it's possible to damage your screen if when installing Linux
    > you select the wrong parameters for the driver/screen. It says so in
    > XConfig (I think).

    Many years ago, there used to be a few crappy monitors and LCD
    screens that could be damaged. Nothing I've seen in the past
    10 years or so could be damaged by misconfiguring an X server,
    but that's mostly CRTs -- I've only had a couple LCD displays
    to play with.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Of course, you
    at UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS

  3. Re: Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor?

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    > Has the monitor been damaged? I can get it replaced, but will it happen
    > again? Anybody know of problems from the Nvidia drivers, or anything
    > else that could cause this?

    .... i've never heard this happen on a modern machine/distro. i know
    in the old days, you had to be cautious. have you checked here
    for info on your box: http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    PS - please dont post to more than 3 groups.
    ..

    Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, # Black holes result
    skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux", # when God divides the
    "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed" # universe by zero

  4. Re: Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor?

    "Jim Kroger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:jimkkREMOVEME-4EB709.23201629062003@visonmassif.rs.itd.umich.edu ...
    > I have a Dell Latitude c810 laptop.
    > I'm afraid running Linux, or more specifically the Nvidia driver for the
    > graphics card and monitor on my laptop, has damaged the screen.
    >
    > Now, I've noticed (running XP) that along that top area of the screen,
    > there is something like we used to call "burn." When we left old CRT
    > monitors on the same screen all the time, it got so you could see a
    > ghost of that screen even when looking at a different screen. The
    > pattern (usually the mac menu at the top) had burned the actual CRT
    > pixels.

    Check the forums at Dell. Here in Europe it is quite an issue: Dell has
    problems with LCDs that show burn in. AFAIK it is a manufacturing problem
    and should be covered by warranty.

    Georg

  5. Re: Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor?

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    > I'm afraid running Linux, or more specifically the Nvidia driver for the
    > graphics card and monitor on my laptop, has damaged the screen.
    >
    > I know that it's possible to damage your screen if when installing Linux
    > you select the wrong parameters for the driver/screen. It says so in
    > XConfig (I think).

    The damage you're thinking of is caused when you tell the computer to
    use a scan rate that the monitor cannot handle. This does not cause
    phosphor burn-in, but it is certainly possible for it to burn out
    horizontal and/or vertical deflection circuitry if you try to run it
    at a frequency it isn't designed to handle. I don't think this is an
    issue with newer monitors, as they are designed to detect this condition
    and simply blank the screen rather than blindly try to run the
    deflection circuits at the wrong freq.

    > Whenever I log out of Linux, there is a few moments before the login
    > screen comes up. During this time, there is a white screen and there
    > are bright, bad things happening in the area of the first few rows of
    > pixels at the top of the screen for a few moments. It's clearly a wierd
    > thing that shouldn't happen.

    This just sounds like the video driver is changing modes and re-
    initializing. I've seen that several times here, and I don't think
    it's anything to worry about. As long as it doesn't persist for
    an extended period of time, you should be okay.

    > This looks just like that. I see a faint ghost of the top of an XP
    > window, with zoom box, the close box (X), the minimize box, and the
    > outline of the whole top edge of the window.

    If you're seeing a ghost of an XP screen, then it sounds more like
    you left an XP window open for a long time. I can't see how a Linux
    driver could possibly cause an XP burn pattern to show up on the
    monitor...

    > Has the monitor been damaged?

    If in fact you're seeing a phosphor burn pattern, then yes,
    the phosphors have been damaged (and I know of no way to get
    rid of the problem short of CRT replacement). This is irritating
    to look at, but should not detract from the basic functionality
    of the monitor, so depending on how bad it irritates you,
    you should still be able to use the monitor.

    > I can get it replaced, but will it happen
    > again? Anybody know of problems from the Nvidia drivers, or anything
    > else that could cause this?

    I'm running nVidia here on a multiscan monitor, and have never
    seen this problem show up. Gut feeling is that something else is
    going on here and that it's not a Linux or nVidia problem.

    --
    Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

  6. Re: Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor?

    i've set the wrong configutation a lot on my Linux box running a sony
    monitor. It was only then that I realised the risk involved. Thankfully,
    nothing went wrong

    "Steve Martin" wrote in message
    news:cleNa.11694$eW6.9419@fe03.atl2.webusenet.com. ..
    > Jim Kroger wrote:
    >
    > > I'm afraid running Linux, or more specifically the Nvidia driver for the
    > > graphics card and monitor on my laptop, has damaged the screen.
    > >
    > > I know that it's possible to damage your screen if when installing Linux
    > > you select the wrong parameters for the driver/screen. It says so in
    > > XConfig (I think).

    > The damage you're thinking of is caused when you tell the computer to
    > use a scan rate that the monitor cannot handle. This does not cause
    > phosphor burn-in, but it is certainly possible for it to burn out
    > horizontal and/or vertical deflection circuitry if you try to run it
    > at a frequency it isn't designed to handle. I don't think this is an
    > issue with newer monitors, as they are designed to detect this condition
    > and simply blank the screen rather than blindly try to run the
    > deflection circuits at the wrong freq.
    >
    > > Whenever I log out of Linux, there is a few moments before the login
    > > screen comes up. During this time, there is a white screen and there
    > > are bright, bad things happening in the area of the first few rows of
    > > pixels at the top of the screen for a few moments. It's clearly a wierd
    > > thing that shouldn't happen.

    > This just sounds like the video driver is changing modes and re-
    > initializing. I've seen that several times here, and I don't think
    > it's anything to worry about. As long as it doesn't persist for
    > an extended period of time, you should be okay.
    >
    > > This looks just like that. I see a faint ghost of the top of an XP
    > > window, with zoom box, the close box (X), the minimize box, and the
    > > outline of the whole top edge of the window.

    > If you're seeing a ghost of an XP screen, then it sounds more like
    > you left an XP window open for a long time. I can't see how a Linux
    > driver could possibly cause an XP burn pattern to show up on the
    > monitor...
    >
    > > Has the monitor been damaged?

    > If in fact you're seeing a phosphor burn pattern, then yes,
    > the phosphors have been damaged (and I know of no way to get
    > rid of the problem short of CRT replacement). This is irritating
    > to look at, but should not detract from the basic functionality
    > of the monitor, so depending on how bad it irritates you,
    > you should still be able to use the monitor.
    >
    > > I can get it replaced, but will it happen
    > > again? Anybody know of problems from the Nvidia drivers, or anything
    > > else that could cause this?

    > I'm running nVidia here on a multiscan monitor, and have never
    > seen this problem show up. Gut feeling is that something else is
    > going on here and that it's not a Linux or nVidia problem.
    >

    > --
    > Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

  7. Re: Linux or Nvidia driver damaging my Dell laptop monitor?

    I personally, do not rely on XP screensavers. I have my screen saver on
    every 1 minute of idle use. However, one day I left my office for 2hours. It
    turned out my screen saver never activated! It was just a still screen of
    Office and the start menu task bar.
    I now either set screen saver mode on highest priority on the task manager
    OR manually activate screen saver

+ Reply to Thread