Linux on a laptop... faq? - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on a laptop... faq? - Portable ; Hi everyone. I'm new to this newsgroup and to Linux. I'm getting an older (pentium 133mhz/128 ram/8gig HD) laptop, and want to give Linux a try. I'll only be using it for school things like notes and papers, and a ...

  1. Linux on a laptop... faq?

    Hi everyone. I'm new to this newsgroup and to Linux. I'm getting an older
    (pentium 133mhz/128 ram/8gig HD) laptop, and want to give Linux a try. I'll
    only be using it for school things like notes and papers, and a little web
    surfing, AIM, and perhaps programming. Before I ask some really simple
    questions, is there an FAQ that deals with using Linux on an older laptop?
    I've never tried it on a laptop before (although i'm semi-familiar with
    Mandrake on my desktop), so i'm looking for information on things like what
    distribution is best, how to conserve battery power, working with PCMCIA
    devices, etc. If there's an FAQ or site out there that can help me, it
    would be great. Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Linux on a laptop... faq?

    billy mcpherson wrote:

    > Hi everyone. I'm new to this newsgroup and to Linux. I'm getting an
    > older
    > (pentium 133mhz/128 ram/8gig HD) laptop, and want to give Linux a try.
    > I'll only be using it for school things like notes and papers, and a
    > little web
    > surfing, AIM, and perhaps programming. Before I ask some really simple
    > questions, is there an FAQ that deals with using Linux on an older laptop?
    > I've never tried it on a laptop before (although i'm semi-familiar with
    > Mandrake on my desktop), so i'm looking for information on things like
    > what distribution is best, how to conserve battery power, working with
    > PCMCIA
    > devices, etc. If there's an FAQ or site out there that can help me, it
    > would be great. Thanks in advance.

    For performance reasons, you may want to try an older distro. Look for
    something that would have been current, when the computer was new.

    There's a lot of Linux documentation at www.tldp.org

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  3. Re: Linux on a laptop... faq?

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:59:54 GMT, James wrote:
    > billy mcpherson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone. I'm new to this newsgroup and to Linux. I'm getting an
    >> older
    >> (pentium 133mhz/128 ram/8gig HD) laptop, and want to give Linux a try.
    >>

    > For performance reasons, you may want to try an older distro. Look for
    > something that would have been current, when the computer was new.
    >
    > There's a lot of Linux documentation at www.tldp.org

    For security, stability and bugfixes, I might try a newer distro. But I
    would stay far away from bloated KDE 3+ and Gnome2. Stick with a
    light-weight window manager, perhaps fluxbox, FVWM, or perhaps
    enlightenment and you should be ok. Using things like mutt for mail or
    slrn for newsgroups will help a lot too.

    Brad

  4. Re: Linux on a laptop... faq?

    "Bradley Reed" wrote:
    > Stick with a
    > light-weight window manager, perhaps fluxbox, FVWM, or perhaps
    > enlightenment and you should be ok. Using things like mutt for mail or
    > slrn for newsgroups will help a lot too.

    Speaking of light-weight text-based programs for older laptops:
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a recommendation for a text-based
    web browser? I'm thinking of links, lynx, w3m, elinks, etc. I've heard of
    them (and even used lynx some 6-7 years ago), but I really don't know the
    pros/cons of each.

  5. Re: Linux on a laptop... faq?

    Tony Curtis scribbled:

    >>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:23:03 GMT,
    >>> "billy mcpherson" said:

    >> Hi everyone. I'm new to this newsgroup and to Linux.
    >> I'm getting an older (pentium 133mhz/128 ram/8gig HD)
    >> laptop, and want to give Linux a try. I'll only be
    >> using it for school things like notes and papers, and a
    >> little web surfing, AIM, and perhaps programming.
    >> Before I ask some really simple questions, is there an
    >> FAQ that deals with using Linux on an older laptop?

    > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html
    >
    > And these may very well address experiences with the
    > specific model (or a close relative thereof):
    >
    > http://www.tuxmobil.org/
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    >
    > Personally, I would go with something as "light" as
    > possible on such an old machine; currently this would
    > probably translate into Gentoo with fluxbox as the wm
    > (hmmm, that's what I run everywhere :-). Slackware might
    > also be a good choice.
    >
    > hth

    Slackware Linux and Debian GNU/Linux would be my recommendations based upon
    experiences with my IBM ThinkPad 755CE (80486) and IBM ThinkPad 380D
    (Pentium). XFCE is a great light-weight window manager that uses very few
    system resources even on older hardware.

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671 MachineID 197525

+ Reply to Thread