Re: CardBus ADMTek woes - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: CardBus ADMTek woes - Portable ; wow very helpful post David, I'm having the same problem and I found this to be very helpful. However what if I dont have the yenta socket going? in my /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia i only have PCMCIA=yes PCIC=i82365 PCIC_OPTS= CORE_OPTS= CARDMGR_OPTS= i ...

  1. Re: CardBus ADMTek woes

    wow very helpful post David, I'm having the same problem and I found
    this to be very helpful. However what if I dont have the yenta socket
    going? in my /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia i only have

    PCMCIA=yes
    PCIC=i82365
    PCIC_OPTS=
    CORE_OPTS=
    CARDMGR_OPTS=

    i guess this is probably because im using Redhat and that is their
    default way of structuring the config.

    but in any case i did everything else you said and I still get "No IRQ
    known for interrupt pin A of device ." in dmesg, and everytime i
    hotplug the card. somethings def. not right with this driver (im using
    ADM's newest -104). any ideas?

    hughjonesd@yahoo.co.uk (David) wrote in message news:...
    > Success!
    >
    > Here's a short HOWTO to get an ADMTek wireless CardBus card working on
    > a Toshiba Portege running SuSE 8.0. Should help with other
    > distributions too, but some of the specific commands may vary.
    >
    > (1) Don't buy the TEW-221PC from Trendware! Their Linux support is
    > non-existent.
    >
    > (2) make sure that your PCMCIA mode is set to "CardBus" in the BIOS.
    > You can access the BIOS by holding down the Escape key while you
    > reboot the computer.
    >
    > (3) Compile the drivers available from
    > http://www.admtek.com.tw/index/index/download.htm
    > (you want the "ADM8211 Linux Driver")
    >
    > Untar the tar file (tar -zxvf *filename*), then follow the
    > instructions in the README file. You should end up with a file named
    > "8211.o".
    >
    > (4) (From here on, you need to be root.) You need to make sure that
    > the PCMCIA system knows what to do with your driver.
    > Add these lines in /etc/pcmcia/config:
    >
    > # these lines tell your system how to load the 8211 module
    > device "8211"
    > class "network" module "8211"
    >
    > and later on:
    > # these lines get the system to recognize your card
    > card "ADMTek wireless CardBus Card"
    > pci 0x1317, 0x8201
    > bind "8211"
    >
    > Your pci number may vary. To find out what they are, insert the card
    > and do "cardctl ident". You will see something like
    >
    > no product info available
    > PCI id: 0x1317, 0x8201
    >
    > (5) copy the compiled driver, "8211.o" to "/lib/modules/[your kernel
    > version/pcmcia". You probably want to do a "depmod" after this step.
    >
    > (6) make sure that you are using the kernel PCMCIA subsystem, with the
    > "yenta_socket" driver. In /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, make sure that you
    > have the lines
    > PCMCIA_SYSTEM="kernel"
    > and
    > PCMCIA_PCIC="yenta_socket"
    >
    > (7) restart your pcmcia so that these config changes get read:
    > "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart"
    >
    > (8) hotplug your card (unplug it and plug it back in). Now do a
    > "lsmod". If one of the lines reads "8211", congratulations - your card
    > is working. You will now need to configure it. You probably can't use
    > YaST for this - instead, you will need to edit the
    > /etc/sysconfig/network/ files by hand. Read "man ifup" to get you
    > started.
    >
    > (9) If something goes wrong:
    > - look at the syslog when you insert a card. Make sure that you are
    > logging all messages, by editing /etc/syslog.conf to have a line
    > saying
    > *.* /var/log/allmessages
    > or similar. Then run
    > tail -f /var/log/allmessages
    > and watch the output.
    >
    > - ask on this list
    >
    > - ask on the very helpful Toshiba Linux users mailing list
    > (tlinux-users@linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp)
    >
    > Thanks to all those who helped.
    >
    > David

  2. Re: CardBus ADMTek woes

    zakat wrote:
    > wow very helpful post David, I'm having the same problem and I found
    > this to be very helpful. However what if I dont have the yenta socket
    > going? in my /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia i only have

    > PCMCIA=yes
    > PCIC=i82365
    > PCIC_OPTS=
    > CORE_OPTS=
    > CARDMGR_OPTS=

    > i guess this is probably because im using Redhat and that is their
    > default way of structuring the config.

    Is this a very old Red Hat?

    -- Dave

  3. Re: CardBus ADMTek woes

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:...
    > zakat wrote:
    > > wow very helpful post David, I'm having the same problem and I found
    > > this to be very helpful. However what if I dont have the yenta socket
    > > going? in my /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia i only have

    > > PCMCIA=yes
    > > PCIC=i82365
    > > PCIC_OPTS=
    > > CORE_OPTS=
    > > CARDMGR_OPTS=

    > > i guess this is probably because im using Redhat and that is their
    > > default way of structuring the config.

    > Is this a very old Red Hat?
    >
    > -- Dave

    No this is redhat 9.0. at first i had problems even detecting my card.
    so i've uninstalled the pcmcia support from my kernel and installed
    the newest pcmcia_cs package. only after this did i actually get a
    machine address detected by cardctl. now im trying to insmod the
    8211.o file and i always get pin A of device not found etc.. i found
    another post on google about adding something to the ADM driver code,
    see

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%3D10%26sa%3DN

    if that doesnt work he basically says to do this:

    in adm8201.c , adm8211_init_one(...):
    change:
    switch (pDevice->Eeprom.SpecificRFType)
    {
    case 1 :
    pDevice->LM_Device.TransceiverType = RFMD2958;
    break;
    }
    to:
    switch (pDevice->Eeprom.SpecificRFType)
    {
    case 1:
    case 2:
    pDevice->LM_Device.TransceiverType = RFMD2958;
    break;
    }

    i tried that and still cant get it working. the lights on my card dont
    even flash

  4. Re: CardBus ADMTek woes

    zakat wrote:

    > No this is redhat 9.0. at first i had problems even detecting my card.
    > so i've uninstalled the pcmcia support from my kernel and installed
    > the newest pcmcia_cs package.

    Sorry... the driver you're trying to use, will only work with the
    kernel PCMCIA support. It cannot work with the pcmcia-cs system.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread