[9fans] venti - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] venti - Plan9 ; I have fixed the sync livelock bug that anothy and others reported. To make it easier to debug problems in the future (and to inspect your venti servers from other machines), I suggest changing your plan9.ini from reading venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas to ...

  1. [9fans] venti

    I have fixed the sync livelock bug that anothy and others reported.

    To make it easier to debug problems in the future (and to inspect
    your venti servers from other machines), I suggest changing your
    plan9.ini from reading

    venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas

    venti=/dev/sdC0/arenas tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!*!8000

    The two additional addresses are where venti listens for venti
    and http traffic, respectively. The defaults are tcp!127.1!17034
    and tcp!127.1!8000. Using * instead of 127.1 in the latter will
    make it so the http server is accessible from other machines.
    (If you want to make your venti server accessible too, change
    the first address to tcp!*!17034.) The default is 127.1 for
    security reasons.

    Having done this, you will be able to load pages like

    http://venti:8000/proc/threads

    to get a list of threads and what code they are blocked in. And

    http://venti:8000/proc/stacks

    will give the stack for each thread, much like running stacks()
    in an "acid -l thread" session.

    If you do encounter problems where venti appears to be
    hung in some form, I would appreciate if you could save
    the output of

    http://venti:8000/proc/all

    and mail it to me when reporting the problem.

    Note that although there are new venti binaries on sources,
    the kernels do not yet use the new venti. If you boot from
    a combined venti+fossil server, you will need to rebuild
    9pccpuf/9pcf yourself in order to get it.

    Thanks.
    Russ

  2. Re: [9fans] venti

    > I have fixed the sync livelock bug that anothy and others reported.

    I too had the "hangs at conf..." problem but it seemed to go
    away when I disabled a cpu.

    The latest change to venti has solved my problems and I
    am back on two cpus.

    Thanks,

    -Steve

+ Reply to Thread