[9fans] Next IWP9 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Next IWP9 - Plan9 ; Was really bummed not to be able to make IWP9 this year. A note to whoever is considering hosting the next one -- it would be really cool for us corporate types if we could move it into the first ...

  1. [9fans] Next IWP9

    Was really bummed not to be able to make IWP9 this year. A note to
    whoever is considering hosting the next one -- it would be really cool
    for us corporate types if we could move it into the first two quarters
    of the year as its usually around July that our travel budgets get
    slashed. I think it would even be worth skipping a year so we could
    move it earlier if that was necessary. Co-location with a major
    conference (USENIX, OSDI, SOSP, etc.) would be nice too, but since
    that would probably bump the costs for folks it may be less desirable.

    -eric

  2. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    > Was really bummed not to be able to make IWP9 this year. A note to
    > whoever is considering hosting the next one -- it would be really cool
    > for us corporate types if we could move it into the first two quarters
    > of the year as its usually around July that our travel budgets get
    > slashed. I think it would even be worth skipping a year so we could
    > move it earlier if that was necessary. Co-location with a major
    > conference (USENIX, OSDI, SOSP, etc.) would be nice too, but since
    > that would probably bump the costs for folks it may be less desirable.
    >
    > -eric

    Putting in a request for somewhere in the Northeast U.S. next year,
    if people are willing to accept the weather. I'd offer to host it
    here in Rochester (at RIT, I think they'd go for it) but the
    conditions can be expected to be similar to Murray Hill's from IWP9
    2007.

    John

  3. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
    be great for me.

    > From: john@csplan9.rit.edu
    >
    > Putting in a request for somewhere in the Northeast U.S. next year,
    > if people are willing to accept the weather. I'd offer to host it
    > here in Rochester (at RIT, I think they'd go for it) but the
    > conditions can be expected to be similar to Murray Hill's from IWP9
    > 2007.
    >
    > John

  4. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Fco. J. Ballesteros wrote:
    > Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
    > be great for me.

    Clearly you just want to go skiing

    -eric

  5. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:36:02AM -0600, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Fco. J. Ballesteros wrote:
    > > Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
    > > be great for me.
    > >

    > Clearly you just want to go skiing

    sheeesh, barely returned from scuba diving in Volos and already thinking
    of skiing...?

    Mathieu

  6. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    I´m trading snow & extra hours flying.
    I don´t like snow too much, but making a long trip
    longer is worse, IMHO.

    On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Fco. J. Ballesteros wrote:
    >> Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
    >> be great for me.
    >>

    > Clearly you just want to go skiing
    >
    > -eric

  7. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    >> Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
    >> be great for me.

    > Clearly you just want to go skiing

    If you want skiing then you want to hold it in Whistler (British
    Columbia).

    But I would *strongly* recommend against skipping a year if it's held
    there :-P

  8. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    Colocation with Bondi Beach may not be bad either.

    http://www.chunder.com/may96/ravesis.html

    You, and Summit Police, have met Ms Wendy - Mr Hensbergen
    Pickup-Truck. I will give in and fly if needed. What else do I do with
    all these damned frequent flyer miles?

    With all due respect,

    brucee

    On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
    > Was really bummed not to be able to make IWP9 this year. A note to
    > whoever is considering hosting the next one -- it would be really cool
    > for us corporate types if we could move it into the first two quarters
    > of the year as its usually around July that our travel budgets get
    > slashed. I think it would even be worth skipping a year so we could
    > move it earlier if that was necessary. Co-location with a major
    > conference (USENIX, OSDI, SOSP, etc.) would be nice too, but since
    > that would probably bump the costs for folks it may be less desirable.
    >
    > -eric

  9. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    >>> Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
    >>> be great for me.

    >> Clearly you just want to go skiing

    > If you want skiing then you want to hold it in Whistler (British
    > Columbia).
    >
    > But I would *strongly* recommend against skipping a year if it's held
    > there :-P

    There are things about Whi$tler that would pose problems for some.

  10. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

  11. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    >> If you want skiing then you want to hold it in Whistler (British
    >> Columbia).
    >>
    >> But I would *strongly* recommend against skipping a year if it's held
    >> there :-P

    > There are things about Whi$tler that would pose problems for some.

    Whistler got its name from the common reaction to readers of its rate sheet.

  12. Re: [9fans] Next IWP9

    My orthopaedic surgeon would disown me - and he's a valuable asset.

    brucee

    On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Wes Kussmaul wrote:

    >>> If you want skiing then you want to hold it in Whistler (British
    >>> Columbia).
    >>>
    >>> But I would *strongly* recommend against skipping a year if it's held
    >>> there :-P

    >> There are things about Whi$tler that would pose problems for some.

    > Whistler got its name from the common reaction to readers of its rate sheet.

+ Reply to Thread