Re: [9fans] 9grid - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] 9grid - Plan9 ; > trying with cpu(1) command, i was doing: > cpu -h fileservername > and the prompt changed from term% to cpu%, and i supposed that was > correct, but when i tried to connect to a cpuserver (all nodes are ...

  1. Re: [9fans] 9grid

    > trying with cpu(1) command, i was doing:
    > cpu -h fileservername
    > and the prompt changed from term% to cpu%, and i supposed that was
    > correct, but when i tried to connect to a cpuserver (all nodes are
    > diskless)
    > cpu -h cpuservername
    > the prompt didn't change, is that correct? before doing this, i tried
    > with

    there's nothing in the system itself that changes one's prompt.
    this is done by the profile. typically one can use the convention
    that $sysname is the contents of /dev/sysname.
    ; echo $sysname $cpu
    brasstown ladd
    ; cpu
    ; echo $sysname

    - erik

  2. Re: 9grid

    Thanks for replaying...
    Sorry but i got confusion about your replay, i think i don't
    understand very well
    I want to make it clear first that the file/auth server are the same
    pc, and the cpuservers are the nodes of the cluster (5 nodes), which
    are diskless, and a terminal (my laptop).
    I'd like to use the cpu(1) command to connect to one node of the
    cluster (cpuserver) from the terminal, i tried by doing:

    term% cpu -h cpus
    term% ls /mnt/term
    term%

    but i think it isn't correct, because the prompt is still term%, and /
    mnt/term is empty, i did "ls /mnt/term" because i wanted to see if the
    namespace was mounted.
    is that correct?
    I hope i explain to you in the right way.
    thanks again..

    bye,

    Armando

    > there's nothing in the system itself that changes one's prompt.
    > this is done by the profile. *typically one can use the convention
    > that $sysname is the contents of /dev/sysname.
    > ; echo $sysname $cpu
    > brasstown ladd
    > ; cpu
    > ; echo $sysname
    >
    > - erik

  3. Re: 9grid

    I have a doubt.....because i was thinking about all i have to do, and
    i don't know if using cpu command is the right thing to do. anyway,
    the fact is, i have to launch a simple task from terminal (connected
    by armando) to a node on the cluster (diskless cpu server), i thought
    that cpu command was right but i'm not really sure anymore, because in
    unix i used to use "rsh" and "rcmd".
    any suggestions please??

    thanks in advance to all of you,

    bye,
    Armando.

    On 10 Nov, 15:13, lupin...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for replaying...
    > Sorry but i got confusion about your replay, i think i don't
    > understand very well
    > I want to make it clear first that the file/auth server are the same
    > pc, and the cpuservers are the nodes of the cluster (5 nodes), which
    > are diskless, and a terminal (my laptop).
    > I'd like to use the cpu(1) command to connect to one node of the
    > cluster (cpuserver) from the terminal, i tried by doing:
    >
    > term% cpu -h cpus
    > term% ls /mnt/term
    > term%
    >
    > but i think it isn't correct, because the prompt is still term%, and /
    > mnt/term is empty, i did "ls /mnt/term" because i wanted to see if the
    > namespace was mounted.
    > is that correct?
    > I hope i explain to you in the right way.
    > thanks again..
    >
    > bye,
    >
    > Armando

  4. Re: [9fans] 9grid

    On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM, wrote:
    > I have a doubt.....because i was thinking about all i have to do, and
    > i don't know if using cpu command is the right thing to do. anyway,
    > the fact is, i have to launch a simple task from terminal (connected
    > by armando) to a node on the cluster (diskless cpu server), i thought
    > that cpu command was right but i'm not really sure anymore, because in
    > unix i used to use "rsh" and "rcmd".
    > any suggestions please??

    rsh and ssh suck in clusters. cpu is almost exactly what you want. You
    don't get cpu on linux because the linux guys have not reinvented them
    yet. Give them time.

    ron

  5. Re: 9grid

    Thanks Ron, of course cpu doesn't exists on linux...but as you said,
    it seems that i have to connect to a cpu server, but i would like to
    launch a task from terminal to cpu server, and after obtain a result
    from that cpu server,what do i have to do??or what do i have to use??

    thanks in advance to everybody
    Armando

    > On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM, * wrote:
    > > I have a doubt.....because i was thinking about all i have to do, and
    > > i don't know if using cpu command is the right thing to do. anyway,
    > > the fact is, i have to launch a simple task from terminal (connected
    > > by armando) to a node on the cluster (diskless cpu server), i thought
    > > that cpu command was right but i'm not really sure anymore, because in
    > > unix i used to use "rsh" and "rcmd".
    > > any suggestions please??

    > rsh and ssh suck in clusters. cpu is almost exactly what you want. You
    > don't get cpu on linux because the linux guys have not reinvented them
    > yet. Give them time.
    >
    > ron

+ Reply to Thread