Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers? - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers? - Plan9 ; > purely virtual infrastructure for rolling out services is a good idea > but the pieces aren't there yet. also, it assumes that the vm/vs > service provider will be able to provide as good or better quality of > ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers?

    > purely virtual infrastructure for rolling out services is a good idea
    > but the pieces aren't there yet. also, it assumes that the vm/vs
    > service provider will be able to provide as good or better quality of
    > service as you would maintaining your own infrastructure.

    one also needs to deal with data retention and confidentiality
    issues more directly. neither fossil nor ken's fs were designed with
    this in mind.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers?

    That's actually not too hard (data retention and confidentiality
    policies). I did some work on it when in the Inferno Business Unit,
    based on my journalfs. As far as I can tell it doesn't appear in the
    Vita distribution. Maybe it was lost. The design satified bank
    regulations.

    When I left the Unit(s) and went upstairs I was confused for weeks by
    questions about "where is this", "where is that". /home/brucee/src I
    would say (IBU used Suns and god knows what else).

    It turned out that some pointy headed sys admin had deleted my home
    directory. OK then thhe backups. NO! Our home directories were never
    backed up! I told the VP that if that disk crashed he would lose over
    a $1 million of work. Things may have changed then - but I doubt it.
    At least two sysadmins were sacked from that unit, a rare thing at the
    Labs.

    If someone needs something like this I might be able to find some
    code, on a ZIP disk that probably won't work.

    brucee

    On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:12 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> purely virtual infrastructure for rolling out services is a good idea
    >> but the pieces aren't there yet. also, it assumes that the vm/vs
    >> service provider will be able to provide as good or better quality of
    >> service as you would maintaining your own infrastructure.

    > one also needs to deal with data retention and confidentiality
    > issues more directly. neither fossil nor ken's fs were designed with
    > this in mind.
    >
    > - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers?

    >I did some work on it when in the Inferno Business Unit,
    >based on my journalfs. As far as I can tell it doesn't appear in the
    >Vita distribution.

    no, i don't think i ever saw it, and at one stage i had a look round
    the file stores we inherited to see if there were any interesting things
    that the business unit unaccountably hadn't included.
    i have got the kilcullen talk about sessionfs (25 Feb 1998).

  4. Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers?

    cool, i think that was the code they were really looking for.

    the transcript is funny huh? "yada yada" is transcribed as something
    very funny, like yattata. was there a video?

    brucee

    On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 10:39 PM, C H Forsyth wrote:
    >>I did some work on it when in the Inferno Business Unit,
    >>based on my journalfs. As far as I can tell it doesn't appear in the
    >>Vita distribution.

    > no, i don't think i ever saw it, and at one stage i had a look round
    > the file stores we inherited to see if there were any interesting things
    > that the business unit unaccountably hadn't included.
    > i have got the kilcullen talk about sessionfs (25 Feb 1998).

+ Reply to Thread