[9fans] Invisible cursor - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Invisible cursor - Plan9 ; Hello, I tried to use my IBM ThinkCentre S50 as a Plan 9 terminal, but I discovered a really strange problem. When I boot my terminal using PXE, rio is running fine, but the cursor does not appear. The mouse ...

  1. [9fans] Invisible cursor

    Hello,

    I tried to use my IBM ThinkCentre S50 as a Plan 9 terminal,
    but I discovered a really strange problem.

    When I boot my terminal using PXE, rio is running fine, but the
    cursor does not appear. The mouse is useable, but with an invisible
    cursor and I cannot type anything with the keyboard.

    This problem does not appear before launching aux/vga.
    When I launch aux/vga manually, I cannot type anything after.

    I don't have this problem if I boot locally on this terminal,
    using the Plan 9 cdrom.
    And I don't have this problem on my other terminals booting PXE
    on the same cpuserver, like my IBM PC300PL.

    I tried things like "echo -n hwaccel off > '#'v/mousectl", but
    it does not seem to change anything.

    How can I solve this problem?

    Thank you.

    --
    David du Colombier

  2. Re: [9fans] Invisible cursor

    On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:22:49PM +0100, David du Colombier wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I tried to use my IBM ThinkCentre S50 as a Plan 9 terminal,
    >but I discovered a really strange problem.
    >
    >When I boot my terminal using PXE, rio is running fine, but the
    >cursor does not appear. The mouse is useable, but with an invisible
    >cursor and I cannot type anything with the keyboard.
    >
    >This problem does not appear before launching aux/vga.
    >When I launch aux/vga manually, I cannot type anything after.
    >
    >I don't have this problem if I boot locally on this terminal,
    >using the Plan 9 cdrom.
    >And I don't have this problem on my other terminals booting PXE
    >on the same cpuserver, like my IBM PC300PL.
    >
    >I tried things like "echo -n hwaccel off > '#'v/mousectl", but
    >it does not seem to change anything.
    >
    >How can I solve this problem?

    We've had the same problem here when turning on Hyperthreading...

    iirc, David Eckhardt has posted here about this a few years ago; I don't
    remember if there was fix in that thread or not.

    -- vs

  3. Re: [9fans] Invisible cursor

    > We've had the same problem here when turning on Hyperthreading...
    >
    > iirc, David Eckhardt has posted here about this a few years ago; I don't
    > remember if there was fix in that thread or not.

    I found David Eckhardt's post on 9fans archive [1]. It was helpful.

    I firstly tried to disable HyperThreading support in the BIOS,
    but it did not work.

    Then I tried to put "*nomp=1" in the plan9.ini of my terminal
    and it works. The cursor now appears on the screen and the keyboard
    is working.

    However, the mouse cursor leave some little garbage on the screen when
    clicking on the screen.

    Thank you for your help.

    [1] http://9fans.net/archive/2007/08/288

    --
    David du Colombier

  4. Re: [9fans] Invisible cursor

    > However, the mouse cursor leave some little garbage on the screen when
    > clicking on the screen.

    In fact, I just forgot to re-enable hwaccel. It works perfectly now.

    --
    David du Colombier

+ Reply to Thread