[9fans] Poorly created user - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Poorly created user - Plan9 ; Hello, A while back I created a user by the normal procedure of adding it to the FS and running auth/changeuser, then logging in as the user and running /sys/lib/newuser. However, it turns out that all the files created for ...

  1. [9fans] Poorly created user

    Hello,
    A while back I created a user by the normal procedure of adding it to
    the FS and running auth/changeuser, then logging in as the user and
    running /sys/lib/newuser. However, it turns out that all the files
    created for the user had awkward permissions on them -- specifically,
    the group and user attributes of every file for the user were not
    precisely of that users. Here's an example of the user's cron DIR:

    d-rwxr-xr-x M 2225 (user) (user) 0 Oct 28 13:15 /cron/user
    (notice theparentheses)

    the same is with the case of the user's home DIR (and files within) as
    well as mail box DIR, etc., etc.. The result of this is that the user
    itself can't access any such files or DIRs! It has access to none of
    its own stuff. I'm not sure where I (hostowner) could have gone wrong
    with this, perhaps some part of changeuser or adding the user to the
    FS? Anyways, currently, I've disabled the user account and would like
    to remove the user's cron, mail box, etc. files and DIRs from fossil,
    for purposes of organisation, but I'm (i.e., hostowner) unable to do
    any of that either, due to permissions. So, perhaps someone could
    lead me to the right direction in either restoring the user account or
    being able to remove all these "garbage-owner/group" files (from
    fossil)?

    Regards

  2. Re: [9fans] Poorly created user

    > d-rwxr-xr-x M 2225 (user) (user) 0 Oct 28 13:15 /cron/user
    > (notice theparentheses)

    the klammeraffen mean that the user has been removed
    from the users' table in the fs. you'll need to add the user
    back to proceede.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread