[9fans] on a slightly more fun note - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] on a slightly more fun note - Plan9 ; Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. . All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and the existence of this new kernel. Plan is to double it just a few times ...

  1. [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .

    All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
    the existence of this new kernel.

    Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
    the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
    262144 cpus.

    Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
    though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
    on his blog.

    managing output is interesting in this world.

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    Congrats! That's fantastic!

    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM, ron minnich wrote:

    > Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
    >
    > All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
    > the existence of this new kernel.
    >
    > Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
    > the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
    > 262144 cpus.
    >
    > Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
    > though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
    > on his blog.
    >
    > managing output is interesting in this world.
    >
    > ron

  3. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    Really cool! Are you going to talk about this @SuperComputing?

    Thanks,
    Roman.

    On Nov 5, 2008, at 5:53 PM, ron minnich wrote:

    > Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
    >
    > All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
    > the existence of this new kernel.
    >
    > Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
    > the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
    > 262144 cpus.
    >
    > Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
    > though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
    > on his blog.
    >
    > managing output is interesting in this world.
    >
    > ron

  4. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
    > Really cool! Are you going to talk about this @SuperComputing?

    I was going to talk to a bof but they did not accept the paper:
    "Running one million things". Somehow the schedulers had more cred.

    ron

  5. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    > Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .

    I'll echo the congratulations.

    > Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
    > the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
    > 262144 cpus.

    So how many cores is that for each member of the
    Plan 9 community? :-) On a slightly more serious
    note, would it be terribly naive to guess that
    there would be more cores running Plan 9 in that
    machine than there are throughout the rest of the
    world?

    Now we just need to run Inferno so it will cover
    the range from the GameBoy DS all the way up to
    the BG/P. :-) There would be something perverse
    but fun for the DS to import resources from the
    BG/P or vice versa for that matter.

    BLS

  6. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    Be careful what you wish for

    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Brian L. Stuart wrote:
    >> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .

    > I'll echo the congratulations.
    >
    >> Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
    >> the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
    >> 262144 cpus.

    > So how many cores is that for each member of the
    > Plan 9 community? :-) On a slightly more serious
    > note, would it be terribly naive to guess that
    > there would be more cores running Plan 9 in that
    > machine than there are throughout the rest of the
    > world?
    >
    > Now we just need to run Inferno so it will cover
    > the range from the GameBoy DS all the way up to
    > the BG/P. :-) There would be something perverse
    > but fun for the DS to import resources from the
    > BG/P or vice versa for that matter.
    >
    > BLS

  7. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

  8. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    > Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .

    congratulations to everyone involved.

    Obama wins, and now this. life is great!

  9. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    That's nearly as many cores as I have gates! Very good indeed - just
    don't say "Hooter's Girls" to Mr Van Hensbergen.

    brucee

    On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:53 AM, ron minnich wrote:
    > Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
    >
    > All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
    > the existence of this new kernel.
    >
    > Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
    > the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
    > 262144 cpus.
    >
    > Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
    > though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
    > on his blog.
    >
    > managing output is interesting in this world.
    >
    > ron

  10. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    That's great.
    Any plan to run it for end users?

    On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    > That's nearly as many cores as I have gates! Very good indeed - just
    > don't say "Hooter's Girls" to Mr Van Hensbergen.
    >
    > brucee
    >
    > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:53 AM, ron minnich wrote:
    >> Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
    >>
    >> All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
    >> the existence of this new kernel.
    >>
    >> Plan is to double it just a few times until we hit 65536 or so. Then
    >> the fun begins: turning on all cores, so we get to
    >> 262144 cpus.
    >>
    >> Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy. No current plans to run acme,
    >> though we have run rio on a bg/l cpu node in 2007, as ericvh related
    >> on his blog.
    >>
    >> managing output is interesting in this world.
    >>
    >> ron

  11. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    >Any plan to run it for end users?

    "Sole purpose of visit"
    as someone supposedly quipped in answer to the question on the US entry form:
    "Is it your intention to overthrow the government of the United States?"

    (that response is variously attributed, although both Evelyn Waugh and Gilbert Harding
    seem plausible, given their temperaments, but it's hard to imagine it successfully
    breaking the ice at US Immigration. it is sometimes given as "Not sole purpose of visit" which is also effective.)

  12. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 05:53:25PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
    > Just booted Plan 9 on a 1024+16 node BG/P this week. .
    >
    > All credit to jmk, ericvh, and charles for this fantastic test run and
    > the existence of this new kernel.

    Just chiming in to say very nicely done, congratulations, && thanks for all
    the work you've put in on Plan 9.

    > Boots kinda fast, too. It's peppy.

    Throwing your name in for Undisputed King of Understatement?

    --nwf;

  13. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    > So how many cores is that for each member of the
    > Plan 9 community? :-) On a slightly more serious
    > note, would it be terribly naive to guess that
    > there would be more cores running Plan 9 in that
    > machine than there are throughout the rest of the
    > world?

    not yet. coraid is responsible for ~4k cores
    running plan 9 right now. of course the maximum
    concentration in one place is jus a few hundred.

    - erik

  14. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 06:54 -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > So how many cores is that for each member of the
    > > Plan 9 community? :-) On a slightly more serious
    > > note, would it be terribly naive to guess that
    > > there would be more cores running Plan 9 in that
    > > machine than there are throughout the rest of the
    > > world?

    > not yet. coraid is responsible for ~4k cores
    > running plan 9 right now. of course the maximum
    > concentration in one place is jus a few hundred.

    Were does this show up in their product line?

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  15. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    >> not yet. coraid is responsible for ~4k cores
    >> running plan 9 right now. of course the maximum
    >> concentration in one place is jus a few hundred.

    > Were does this show up in their product line?

    srxxxx appliances.

    - erik

  16. Re: [9fans] on a slightly more fun note

    congrats!

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

+ Reply to Thread