Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries - Plan9 ; On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Eris Discordia wrote: > Please forgive the repeated messages. It didn't appear in my mail client's > Sent view after I hit send. Thought it might have been lost so I re-wrote ...

  1. Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries

    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Eris Discordia wrote:
    > Please forgive the repeated messages. It didn't appear in my mail client's
    > Sent view after I hit send. Thought it might have been lost so I re-wrote
    > it.

    i expect you to start littering the web forums and mailing lists
    dedicated to your mail client software immediately. after all it did
    cause you discomfort, didn't it?

    let us know how it goes.

  2. Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries

    When Sun reported on their first implementation of shared libraries,
    the paper they presented (I think it was at Usenix) concluded that
    shared libraries made things bigger and slower, that they were a net
    loss, and in fact that they didn't save much disk space either. The
    test case was Xlib, the benefit negative. But the customer expects us
    to do them so we'll ship it.

    So yes, every major operating system implements them but that does not
    mean they are a good idea. Plan 9 was designed to ignore at least
    some of the received wisdom.

    -rob

  3. Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries

    Thanks for the information.

    --On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:23 PM -0800 Rob Pike
    wrote:

    > When Sun reported on their first implementation of shared libraries,
    > the paper they presented (I think it was at Usenix) concluded that
    > shared libraries made things bigger and slower, that they were a net
    > loss, and in fact that they didn't save much disk space either. The
    > test case was Xlib, the benefit negative. But the customer expects us
    > to do them so we'll ship it.
    >
    > So yes, every major operating system implements them but that does not
    > mean they are a good idea. Plan 9 was designed to ignore at least
    > some of the received wisdom.
    >
    > -rob

+ Reply to Thread