Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries - Plan9 ; Eris, did you just post the following to slashdot? s/OpenBSD/Plan 9/;s/Theo/9whacko/ and we've got your entire posting history on this mailing list. the similarity is uncanny. "Yeah. I'd really like to like OpenBSD. Technically, it's superb. It's smooth, polished, well ...

  1. Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries

    Eris, did you just post the following to slashdot? s/OpenBSD/Plan
    9/;s/Theo/9whacko/ and we've got your entire posting history on this
    mailing list. the similarity is uncanny.

    "Yeah. I'd really like to like OpenBSD. Technically, it's superb. It's
    smooth, polished, well documented --- it's got a level of consistency
    that most Linux distros can only hope to dream of. The kernel is well
    designed and fast, with excellent hardware support. System setup is
    consistent and well-thought out. Above all, it doesn't confuse
    easy-to-use with easy-to-learn --- everything is as simple as possible
    without oversimplifying, which makes it a joy to admin.

    But then, every time I try to use it, I run up against the OpenBSD
    developers, who are an arrogant bunch of elitist assholes. In a couple
    of years, on and off, I think I've seen Theo make a civil reply to
    someone *once*. Maybe twice. No, I'm not kidding. When you see someone
    ask what looks to my untutored eye a reasonable question about VMs,
    and the head developer replies publicly with the words 'You are full
    of ****' and nothing else (apart from a complete copy of the original
    message, no snipping), there is something very wrong. Most of the
    other devs are nearly as bad, and of course there are hordes of
    groupies who assume that if the people in charge are okay with
    personal abuse, then it's alright for them, too.

    Despite this, the actual operating system is definitely worth checking
    out if you're interested in what a well-designed Unix actually looks
    like. Linux can learn a lot from it."

  2. Re: [9fans] mmap and shared libraries

    > Eris, did you just post the following to slashdot? s/OpenBSD/Plan
    > 9/;s/Theo/9whacko/ and we've got your entire posting history on this
    > mailing list. the similarity is uncanny.

    I don't think the question is serious but I'm very bad at detecting
    sarcasm--too many false positives. So I'll provide an answer: no.

    By the way, comparing Theo de Raadt to 9people is really mean... towards
    the 9people. He _is_ a tyrant, even though absolutely apt. The 9people are
    far more tolerant and well-behaved. Comparing OpenBSD to Plan 9 is also
    really mean... towards OpenBSD.

    --On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 2:09 PM -0700 andrey mirtchovski
    wrote:

    > Eris, did you just post the following to slashdot? s/OpenBSD/Plan
    > 9/;s/Theo/9whacko/ and we've got your entire posting history on this
    > mailing list. the similarity is uncanny.
    >
    > "Yeah. I'd really like to like OpenBSD. Technically, it's superb. It's
    > smooth, polished, well documented --- it's got a level of consistency
    > that most Linux distros can only hope to dream of. The kernel is well
    > designed and fast, with excellent hardware support. System setup is
    > consistent and well-thought out. Above all, it doesn't confuse
    > easy-to-use with easy-to-learn --- everything is as simple as possible
    > without oversimplifying, which makes it a joy to admin.
    >
    > But then, every time I try to use it, I run up against the OpenBSD
    > developers, who are an arrogant bunch of elitist assholes. In a couple
    > of years, on and off, I think I've seen Theo make a civil reply to
    > someone *once*. Maybe twice. No, I'm not kidding. When you see someone
    > ask what looks to my untutored eye a reasonable question about VMs,
    > and the head developer replies publicly with the words 'You are full
    > of ****' and nothing else (apart from a complete copy of the original
    > message, no snipping), there is something very wrong. Most of the
    > other devs are nearly as bad, and of course there are hordes of
    > groupies who assume that if the people in charge are okay with
    > personal abuse, then it's alright for them, too.
    >
    > Despite this, the actual operating system is definitely worth checking
    > out if you're interested in what a well-designed Unix actually looks
    > like. Linux can learn a lot from it."

+ Reply to Thread