[9fans] aha! that pesky OSX gui failure case - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] aha! that pesky OSX gui failure case - Plan9 ; At IWP9 I demonstrated a certain condition where Inferno and drawterm would fail to start up the gui environment w/o entering a nice spinning cursor on Leopard. As it turns out, there is a third party application that causes this ...

  1. [9fans] aha! that pesky OSX gui failure case

    At IWP9 I demonstrated a certain condition where Inferno and drawterm
    would fail to start up the gui environment w/o entering a nice
    spinning cursor on Leopard.

    As it turns out, there is a third party application that causes this
    case to rear it's ugly head: Audio Hijack Pro (fantastic app by the
    way) installs and runs a little kernel extension for 'Instant
    Hijack' (allowing recording of anything coming across any audio/video
    interface). Doing a little unload:

    % sudo /usr/local/hermes/bin/hermesctl unload

    helps keep the conflict away. Alas, that means one needs to remember
    to load it if you want to record anything in the future.

    Even so, I'm still working on getting rid of the Carbon drawing -and-
    something closer to p9p's devdraw.

    -jas

  2. Re: [9fans] aha! that pesky OSX gui failure case

    Yep... I had that same problem. Only way to get around it was to run as
    root (FEAR!!!)
    or to get rid of Audio Hijack Pro or do as you describe below.
    On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Jeff Sickel wrote:

    > At IWP9 I demonstrated a certain condition where Inferno and drawterm would
    > fail to start up the gui environment w/o entering a nice spinning cursor on
    > Leopard.
    >
    > As it turns out, there is a third party application that causes this case
    > to rear it's ugly head: Audio Hijack Pro (fantastic app by the way)
    > installs and runs a little kernel extension for 'Instant Hijack' (allowing
    > recording of anything coming across any audio/video interface). Doing a
    > little unload:
    >
    > % sudo /usr/local/hermes/bin/hermesctl unload
    >
    > helps keep the conflict away. Alas, that means one needs to remember to
    > load it if you want to record anything in the future.
    >
    > Even so, I'm still working on getting rid of the Carbon drawing -and-
    > something closer to p9p's devdraw.
    >
    > -jas

+ Reply to Thread