> I can run Plan 9 quite nicely in 128 MB of RAM. In the same amount of
> memory FreeBSD is paging nightmare, despite it's wonderfully complex
> shared library environment.

You're wrong. Case in point: my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE installation on a 233
MHz PII (one of those Slot 1 processors) with 128 MB of RAM runs just fine
and serves well the purpose of 24x7 downloading and serving FTP; home
scale, of course. Attempts to live boot Plan 9 on the same machine fail
because some 9wacko believes CD-ROM drives must be secondary master or
something--and I won't move a jumper to suit a 9wacko's whim; not that I've
ever been asked to do that.

--On Monday, November 03, 2008 5:23 PM -0800 Lyndon Nerenberg