Questions about plan9. - Plan9

This is a discussion on Questions about plan9. - Plan9 ; Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do. 1. How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure which ethernet ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Questions about plan9.

  1. Questions about plan9.

    Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
    system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.

    1. How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
    which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
    Dimension 1100.)

    2. Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
    already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)

  2. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:04 AM, nolan.h.hamilton@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
    > system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.
    >
    > 1. How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
    > which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
    > Dimension 1100.)


    Try
    % ndb/dns -r
    % ip/ipconfig
    If that doesn't work, use the device manager on another system, such
    as a Linux LiveCD, to find out the chip.

    > 2. Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
    > already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)


    I'll put a draft of one I'm making on sources later.


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkkQT6QACgkQuv7AVNQDs+ywoQCePdKeiTMIgF JHTv4AcHFhxGi4
    Ve8An2crTE+YRAoT83BmaHaaxhdV2d2z
    =shwg
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  3. Re: Questions about plan9.

    On Nov 4, 3:39*am, pietr...@mac.com (Pietro Gagliardi) wrote:
    > On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:04 AM, nolan.h.hamil...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
    > > system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.

    >
    > > 1. *How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
    > > which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
    > > Dimension 1100.)

    >
    > Try
    > % ndb/dns -r
    > % ip/ipconfig
    > If that doesn't work, use the device manager on another system, such *
    > as a Linux LiveCD, to find out the chip.
    >
    > > 2. *Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
    > > already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)

    >
    > I'll put a draft of one I'm making on sources later.
    >
    > *PGP.sig
    > < 1KViewDownload


    Thanks alot, for the help unfortunately when I use the command ndb/
    dns -r it says "cant read my ip adress".
    Ill try a linux livecd.
    Thank you very much for the C tutorial though.

  4. Re: Questions about plan9.

    On Nov 4, 3:39*am, pietr...@mac.com (Pietro Gagliardi) wrote:
    > On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:04 AM, nolan.h.hamil...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I just recently fell in love with plan9, it's a great operating
    > > system, However there are somethings I do not know how to do.

    >
    > > 1. *How can I get internet through a ethernet cord?(I am not sure
    > > which ethernet card I have , but the computer I have is a Dell
    > > Dimension 1100.)

    >
    > Try
    > % ndb/dns -r
    > % ip/ipconfig
    > If that doesn't work, use the device manager on another system, such *
    > as a Linux LiveCD, to find out the chip.
    >
    > > 2. *Were can I get a good tutorial on the plan9 C compiler( I have
    > > already read: "How to use the plan9 C compiler" by Rob PIke.)

    >
    > I'll put a draft of one I'm making on sources later.
    >
    > *PGP.sig
    > < 1KViewDownload


    Sorry, I forgot to plug in my ehternet cord hahah, but I used both of
    you commands, no error messages. So emmm I guess everything is
    working.

  5. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    >ut I used both of you commands, no error messages

    ip/ipconfig -D
    will print a little bit more (and i mean `a', `little' and `bit')


  6. Re: Questions about plan9.

    Can somebody give me instructions on
    1. How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
    wiki page on it.)
    2. How can I read newsgroups on plan9?

    Internet works and everything.

  7. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Nolan Hamilton
    wrote:
    > Can somebody give me instructions on
    > 1. How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
    > wiki page on it.)


    :-)

    Do you mean reading mail or setting up a mail server? For the former,
    the easiest is to use Mail inside of Acme. Not sure if this is the
    latest greatest way to do it, but this is how I've done it for the
    past four years and a bit.

    In your lib/profile you will want to start upas/fs .

    You can then open a mailbox on a remote IMAP server like this for
    example (this will use factotum to prompt for your password):
    echo 'open /imap/your.imap.server/your.username local.box.name' >/mail/fs/ctl

    And in Acme use "Mail local.box.name" to start the mail reader.

    > 2. How can I read newsgroups on plan9?


    Hmm, can't seem to get to the contrib stuff on sources just now, so
    here's how I do News for myself: http://www.tombob.com/plan9/

    Robby


  8. Re: Questions about plan9.


    On Nov 4, 7:06*am, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Nolan Hamilton
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Can somebody give me instructions on
    > > 1. *How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
    > > wiki page on it.)

    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Do you mean reading mail or setting up a mail server? For the former,
    > the easiest is to use Mail inside of Acme. Not sure if this is the
    > latest greatest way to do it, but this is how I've done it for the
    > past four years and a bit.
    >
    > In your lib/profile you will want to start upas/fs .
    >
    > You can then open a mailbox on a remote IMAP server like this for
    > example (this will use factotum to prompt for your password):
    > * echo 'open /imap/your.imap.server/your.username local.box.name' >/mail/fs/ctl
    >
    > And in Acme use "Mail local.box.name" to start the mail reader.
    >
    > > 2. *How can I read newsgroups on plan9?

    >
    > Hmm, can't seem to get to the contrib stuff on sources just now, so
    > here's how I do News for myself:http://www.tombob.com/plan9/
    >
    > Robby


    Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
    comp.os.vms.

  9. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    > Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
    > comp.os.vms.
    >
    >


    you should not be too sure about that *g*


  10. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    in general any decent 9fan will help. it's only the jerks who get abused.

    there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.

    brucee

    On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:44 PM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
    >> Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
    >> comp.os.vms.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > you should not be too sure about that *g*
    >
    >



  11. Re: Questions about plan9.

    On Nov 4, 7:27*am, Nolan Hamilton wrote:
    > On Nov 4, 7:06*am, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Nolan Hamilton

    >
    > > wrote:
    > > > Can somebody give me instructions on
    > > > 1. *How can I can configure mail? ( and do not just redirect me to the
    > > > wiki page on it.)

    >
    > > :-)

    >
    > > Do you mean reading mail or setting up a mail server? For the former,
    > > the easiest is to use Mail inside of Acme. Not sure if this is the
    > > latest greatest way to do it, but this is how I've done it for the
    > > past four years and a bit.

    >
    > > In your lib/profile you will want to start upas/fs .

    >
    > > You can then open a mailbox on a remote IMAP server like this for
    > > example (this will use factotum to prompt for your password):
    > > * echo 'open /imap/your.imap.server/your.username local.box.name' >/mail/fs/ctl

    >
    > > And in Acme use "Mail local.box.name" to start the mail reader.

    >
    > > > 2. *How can I read newsgroups on plan9?

    >
    > > Hmm, can't seem to get to the contrib stuff on sources just now, so
    > > here's how I do News for myself:http://www.tombob.com/plan9/

    >
    > > Robby

    >
    > Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
    > comp.os.vms.


    It dosent work unfortunatley its probally something I did, can you
    really break each step down for me?
    Sorry!

  12. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Nolan Hamilton
    wrote:
    > It dosent work unfortunatley its probally something I did, can you
    > really break each step down for me?
    > Sorry!


    What doesn't work? You can't start upas/fs? Writing to /mail/fs/ctl
    doesn't work? Or Acme Mail doesn't work?

    Robby


  13. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    > it's only the jerks who get abused.

    Yes, he's right. It's the victim's fault.

    --On Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:57 AM +0200 Bruce Ellis
    wrote:

    > in general any decent 9fan will help. it's only the jerks who get abused.
    >
    > there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.
    >
    > brucee
    >
    > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:44 PM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
    >>> Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
    >>> comp.os.vms.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> you should not be too sure about that *g*
    >>
    >>

    >







  14. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    The regulars on that group spend their days either playing bingo at the
    community center, chasing kids off their yard with a broom, or posting to
    that USENET group.


    On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Nolan Hamilton
    wrote:

    >
    >
    > Thanks alot, people in comp.os.plan9 are much more polite then in
    > comp.os.vms.
    >
    >



  15. Re: [9fans] Questions about plan9.

    // It dosent work unfortunatley its probally something I did,
    // can you really break each step down for me?

    At this point, you've been given all the references you need for
    your stated goals. If something isn't working, you really ought
    to provide a more detailed account of what you did and what
    didn't work as expected. Just a transcript of the commands and
    error messages would be a good start.
    Anthony



+ Reply to Thread