Re: [9fans] Questions on notes - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Questions on notes - Plan9 ; > > > Frankly, I was trying to see whether an external process reading > > > on somebody else's /proc/n/note would make any sense. One thing > > > that I wanted to implement was a "note thief" process ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Questions on notes

    > > > Frankly, I was trying to see whether an external process reading
    > > > on somebody else's /proc/n/note would make any sense. One thing
    > > > that I wanted to implement was a "note thief" process that would
    > > > constantly read on a target's /proc/n/note and handle the notes
    > > > externally using a different kind of IPC to communicate with
    > > > the target. Am I dreaming? Would this be completely impossible
    > > > to implement using /proc/n/note ?

    > > If proc n needs to know about this design, then could
    > > you just always direct the notes to the "thief?" Or
    > > if the thief were a little file server, could you bind
    > > the file he listens to on top of /proc/n/note?

    > the kernel would not notice this binding.

    Oh yeah--good point. Before walk got down to it devproc
    would be in control and not care about the binding.
    I suppose you could do a sort of "note environment"
    where the server would interpose itself between apps
    and /proc sort of like how rio sits between apps
    and /dev/draw, etc. But that's getting complicated
    and there might be something there too that I'm
    overlooking.

    crawling back into my cave...
    BLS

  2. Re: [9fans] Questions on notes

    On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 18:48 +0000, Brian L. Stuart wrote:

    > > > If proc n needs to know about this design, then could
    > > > you just always direct the notes to the "thief?" Or
    > > > if the thief were a little file server, could you bind
    > > > the file he listens to on top of /proc/n/note?

    > > the kernel would not notice this binding.

    > Oh yeah--good point. Before walk got down to it devproc
    > would be in control and not care about the binding.
    > I suppose you could do a sort of "note environment"
    > where the server would interpose itself between apps
    > and /proc sort of like how rio sits between apps
    > and /dev/draw, etc. But that's getting complicated
    > and there might be something there too that I'm
    > overlooking.

    For the kind of thing I need it for -- the kernel sending
    a note is not that big of a deal. Another process sending
    a note over a /proc/weird-number/notepg is. How to
    bind what I need over every potential notepg is absolutely
    not clear. Although in this particular situation file-based
    binding might be exactly what I need.

    Thanks,
    Roman.

+ Reply to Thread