[9fans] punched cards live - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] punched cards live - Plan9 ; This courtesy of the ACPI spec: ""RSD PTR " (Notice that this signature must contain a trailing blank character.)" So where do we get the guys who design this stuff? Can we send them back? Or put them in an ...

  1. [9fans] punched cards live

    This courtesy of the ACPI spec: ""RSD PTR " (Notice that this
    signature must contain a trailing
    blank character.)"

    So where do we get the guys who design this stuff? Can we send them
    back? Or put them in an infinite loop in a time machine (oh wait see
    the subject).

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] punched cards live

    > This courtesy of the ACPI spec: ""RSD PTR " (Notice that this
    > signature must contain a trailing
    > blank character.)"
    >
    > So where do we get the guys who design this stuff? Can we send them
    > back? Or put them in an infinite loop in a time machine (oh wait see
    > the subject).

    i think it's a tradition at this point to use 0x20 and not 0x00 to
    fill a fixed-with signature. ata identify device uses 0x20 to fill
    out fixed-width fields like the serial number. i'd be interested
    where this tradition popped up. 0 would make more sense.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] punched cards live

    As the subject says, punched cards. Except it was a '40'X on the 360.

    On Nov 3, 2008, at 7:06 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:

    >> This courtesy of the ACPI spec: ""RSD PTR " (Notice that this
    >> signature must contain a trailing
    >> blank character.)"
    >>
    >> So where do we get the guys who design this stuff? Can we send them
    >> back? Or put them in an infinite loop in a time machine (oh wait see
    >> the subject).

    > i think it's a tradition at this point to use 0x20 and not 0x00 to
    > fill a fixed-with signature. ata identify device uses 0x20 to fill
    > out fixed-width fields like the serial number. i'd be interested
    > where this tradition popped up. 0 would make more sense.
    >
    > - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] punched cards live

    It's the ACPI Secure Computing Initiative: fixed input format == no
    buffer overflow vulnerabilities. Long live Herman Hollerith!

    ron minnich wrote:
    > This courtesy of the ACPI spec: ""RSD PTR " (Notice that this
    > signature must contain a trailing
    > blank character.)"
    >
    > So where do we get the guys who design this stuff? Can we send them
    > back? Or put them in an infinite loop in a time machine (oh wait see
    > the subject).
    >
    > ron

+ Reply to Thread