Re: [9fans] mmap - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] mmap - Plan9 ; > * Roman V. Shaposhnik wrote: > > On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 17:29 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote: > > > Convenience is one point (sometimes be a big point), but another > > > important one is sharing. Without mmap(), ...

  1. Re: [9fans] mmap

    > * Roman V. Shaposhnik wrote:
    > > On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 17:29 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > > > Convenience is one point (sometimes be a big point), but another
    > > > important one is sharing. Without mmap(), an (real) shared library
    > > > support most likely will require special kernel support.

    > > What aspect of shared libraries are you aching for? Dynamic
    > > linking or the dynamic loading?

    > 3rd: Sharing pages.

    segment(3) already provides this.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] mmap

    On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 5:50 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> * Roman V. Shaposhnik wrote:
    >> >
    >> > What aspect of shared libraries are you aching for? Dynamic
    >> > linking or the dynamic loading?

    >> 3rd: Sharing pages.

    > segment(3) already provides this.

    I still remember this science fiction movie from when I was a kid.
    Time travelers. At the end of the movie, you realized that they were
    ending at the point where they were started, stuck in a loop, oh no!

    and here we are at mmap again.

    ron

  3. Re: [9fans] mmap

    >I still remember this science fiction movie from when I was a kid.

    which one was that? it sounds more interesting than mmap.

  4. Re: [9fans] mmap

    On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:29 PM, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    >>I still remember this science fiction movie from when I was a kid.

    > which one was that? it sounds more interesting than mmap.

    I wish I could remember. It had the usual guys in silvery suits. They
    walk through a frame and are back in time. Key point was, at the end,
    that they ended up escaping but for reasons unknown, walking back
    through the frame -- bad idea.

    ron

  5. Re: [9fans] mmap

    Is it worth adding that in Inferno all libraries are shared as is all
    of memory - seamlessly and safely? Always has been - always will be.

    And there is no bloody mmap() in sight.

    Also I believe that every bad science fiction movie is analogous to a
    computer science moral play. And the more the movie tries to make
    sense the bigger the lesson to be learnt. Of course Plan9 chose the
    worst movie for the best lessons-that-have-been-learnt.

    Just making it up - I seem to be the last foreign 9fan in town.

    brucee

    On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:58 AM, ron minnich wrote:
    > On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:29 PM, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    >>>I still remember this science fiction movie from when I was a kid.

    >> which one was that? it sounds more interesting than mmap.
    >>

    > I wish I could remember. It had the usual guys in silvery suits. They
    > walk through a frame and are back in time. Key point was, at the end,
    > that they ended up escaping but for reasons unknown, walking back
    > through the frame -- bad idea.
    >
    > ron

  6. Re: [9fans] mmap

    * ron minnich wrote:

    > I wish I could remember. It had the usual guys in silvery suits. They
    > walk through a frame and are back in time. Key point was, at the end,
    > that they ended up escaping but for reasons unknown, walking back
    > through the frame -- bad idea.

    Time bandits ?

    cu

    cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666

  7. Re: [9fans] mmap

    I don't want to imply that Ron is quite such an old fart as me, but
    somehow I don't get the impression that he was a kid in 1981, when
    "Time Bandits" came out. Ron, if you could give some clue as to when
    you saw the movie, I'm pretty sure that the group could mount a
    co-ordinated effort to identify it.

    2008/11/4 Enrico Weigelt :
    > * ron minnich wrote:
    >
    >> I wish I could remember. It had the usual guys in silvery suits. They
    >> walk through a frame and are back in time. Key point was, at the end,
    >> that they ended up escaping but for reasons unknown, walking back
    >> through the frame -- bad idea.

    > Time bandits ?
    >

    > cu
    > --
    > Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
    >
    > cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666
    > Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme

  8. Re: [9fans] mmap

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:15:04 +1300 "Andrew Simmons" wrote:
    > I don't want to imply that Ron is quite such an old fart as me, but
    > somehow I don't get the impression that he was a kid in 1981, when
    > "Time Bandits" came out. Ron, if you could give some clue as to when
    > you saw the movie, I'm pretty sure that the group could mount a
    > co-ordinated effort to identify it.

    Sounds like The Time Travelers

  9. Re: [9fans] mmap

    "time travel" plots reminds me of an obscure but splendid czech film that i've only seen once
    http://filmjournal.net/czech/2006/09...self-with-tea/
    but have yet to find on DVD. it is very funny.

  10. Re: [9fans] mmap

    On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Andrew Simmons wrote:
    > I don't want to imply that Ron is quite such an old fart as me, but
    > somehow I don't get the impression that he was a kid in 1981, when
    > "Time Bandits" came out. Ron, if you could give some clue as to when
    > you saw the movie, I'm pretty sure that the group could mount a
    > co-ordinated effort to identify it.

    It had to be 1963.

    I am doubtless older than you, my common experience nowadays is being
    older than everyone.

    But so much more charming!

    ron

  11. Re: [9fans] mmap

    On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

    > * ron minnich wrote:
    >
    > > I wish I could remember. It had the usual guys in silvery suits. They
    > > walk through a frame and are back in time. Key point was, at the end,
    > > that they ended up escaping but for reasons unknown, walking back
    > > through the frame -- bad idea.

    > Time bandits ?

    Don't touch it... it's pure evil.

    > cu
    > --
    > Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
    >
    > cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666
    > Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme

  12. Re: [9fans] mmap

    On Nov 4, 2008, at 9:02 AM, ron minnich wrote:

    > On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Andrew Simmons
    > wrote:
    >> I don't want to imply that Ron is quite such an old fart as me, but
    >> somehow I don't get the impression that he was a kid in 1981, when
    >> "Time Bandits" came out. Ron, if you could give some clue as to when
    >> you saw the movie, I'm pretty sure that the group could mount a
    >> co-ordinated effort to identify it.
    >>

    > It had to be 1963.
    >
    > I am doubtless older than you, my common experience nowadays is being
    > older than everyone.
    >
    > But so much more charming!

    I think the movie is The Time Travelers.

    I remember seeing it in the early 60's.

    Maybe I'm getting too old... Hey you kids! Get off of my lawn.

    Kim

  13. [9fans] Time travel

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Kim Shrier wrote:

    > Maybe I'm getting too old... Hey you kids! Get off of my lawn.

    Make that "Get off of my Wifi!"

    --lyndon (in firm denial of becoming a legitimate 'grey beard')

  14. Re: [9fans] Time travel

    On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > Make that "Get off of my Wifi!"

    Those crazy kids with their Hulu loops.

    -J

  15. Re: [9fans] Time travel

    No respect those kids wearing crazy clothes and mucking up constantly.

    BTW can whoever took the photos of me and tiger please send them to me
    or post them somewhere.

    brucee

    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Jack Johnson wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    >> Make that "Get off of my Wifi!"

    > Those crazy kids with their Hulu loops.
    >
    > -J

  16. Re: [9fans] mmap

    FYI:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3835...ie_ever_made__

    /G.

    > "time travel" plots reminds me of an obscure but
    > splendid czech film that i've only seen once
    > http://filmjournal.net/czech/2006/09...self-with-tea/
    > but have yet to find on DVD. it is very funny.

    Låna pengar utan säkerhet. Jämför vilkor online hos Kelkoo.
    http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100390123-lan...nerId=96915014

+ Reply to Thread