Query on Venti access - Plan9

This is a discussion on Query on Venti access - Plan9 ; Hi All, I am new to plan9 and venti. All your help is greatly appreciated. I am doing a project and my professor suggested that I use venti as a back end server. Could any you please let me know ...

  1. Query on Venti access

    Hi All,

    I am new to plan9 and venti. All your help is greatly appreciated.
    I am doing a project and my professor suggested that I use venti as a
    back end server.

    Could any you please let me know whether it is possible to access a
    Venti server running on a plan 9 machine from another machine running
    Ubuntu? I plan to write a C++ program that will execute on an Ubuntu
    system and communicate with the Venti server running on a Plan 9
    system. Is this possible?

    If this is possible I plan to read up extensively on Venti and educate
    myself in this direction.

    Regards,
    Anoop

  2. Re: [9fans] Query on Venti access

    The most comprehensive man pages are on swtch.com

    Venti uses a simple protocol, the C library is described here :
    http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man3/venti.html

    And the source here :
    http://swtch.com/usr/local/plan9/src/libventi/

    this is the intro

    http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man7/venti.html

    mjl already did a client in Limbo so it is obviously possible

    > If this is possible I plan to read up extensively on Venti and educate
    > myself in this direction.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anoop

  3. Re: [9fans] Query on Venti access

    On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM, wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am new to plan9 and venti. All your help is greatly appreciated.
    > I am doing a project and my professor suggested that I use venti as a
    > back end server.
    >
    > Could any you please let me know whether it is possible to access a
    > Venti server running on a plan 9 machine from another machine running
    > Ubuntu? I plan to write a C++ program that will execute on an Ubuntu
    > system and communicate with the Venti server running on a Plan 9
    > system. Is this possible?

    You can use this:
    http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man8/vbackup.html

    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

  4. Re: [9fans] Query on Venti access

    * anoop.anoop@gmail.com wrote:

    Hi,

    > Could any you please let me know whether it is possible to access a
    > Venti server running on a plan 9 machine from another machine running
    > Ubuntu?

    have a look at plan9port

    BTW: I'm running both venti and clients on Gentoo systems.

    cu

    cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666