[9fans] troff .XP - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] troff .XP - Plan9 ; After a long day writing a paper for my psych class, it came time for me to make the reference page, using the APA format (see http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/06/ ). I was looking at an online troff manual, which said that the ...

  1. [9fans] troff .XP

    After a long day writing a paper for my psych class, it came time for
    me to make the reference page, using the APA format (see
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/06/). I was looking at
    an online troff manual, which said that the .XP macro in the MS macro
    set should do exactly what I want for the references... but we don't
    seem to have .XP in Plan 9 troff.

    Has anyone here written a similar macro for Plan 9? I'm a bit fried
    after a lot of paper-writing and some Matlab work this afternoon or
    I'd try to figure something out from the troff manual.

    Thanks

    John

  2. Re: [9fans] troff .XP

    Forsyth ported refer(1) to plan9, which is what I use,
    I have copied his email below.

    -Steve

    > i've the variant in use in sources/contrib/forsyth/refer.tgz. see INSTALL.
    > it could do with much more work (on the strange
    > source file partitioning, and more seriously on all those fixed-size char
    > arrays),
    > but at least a few of the ancient problems have been corrected
    > (limits on list memory size, and a buggy implementation of aho-corasick). i've
    > used it
    > for years without too much fuss. one difference from earlier ones
    > is that you're required to use refer/pubindex.

  3. Re: [9fans] troff .XP

    > After a long day writing a paper for my psych class, it came time for
    > me to make the reference page, using the APA format (see
    > http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/06/). I was looking at
    > an online troff manual, which said that the .XP macro in the MS macro
    > set should do exactly what I want for the references... but we don't
    > seem to have .XP in Plan 9 troff.
    >
    > Has anyone here written a similar macro for Plan 9? I'm a bit fried
    > after a lot of paper-writing and some Matlab work this afternoon or
    > I'd try to figure something out from the troff manual.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Really what I want here is .HP from -man but if I use -man I get
    really ugly fonts... yet if I copy over the .de HP chunk from tmac.an
    into my .ms file, the formatting doesn't work properly.

    John

  4. Re: [9fans] troff .XP

    On Oct 26, 2008, at 8:39 PM, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:

    >> After a long day writing a paper for my psych class, it came time for
    >> me to make the reference page, using the APA format (see
    >> http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/06/). I was looking
    >> at
    >> an online troff manual, which said that the .XP macro in the MS macro
    >> set should do exactly what I want for the references... but we don't
    >> seem to have .XP in Plan 9 troff.
    >>
    >> Has anyone here written a similar macro for Plan 9? I'm a bit fried
    >> after a lot of paper-writing and some Matlab work this afternoon or
    >> I'd try to figure something out from the troff manual.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John

    > Really what I want here is .HP from -man but if I use -man I get
    > really ugly fonts... yet if I copy over the .de HP chunk from tmac.an
    > into my .ms file, the formatting doesn't work properly.
    >
    > John

    I modify the .PP macro. Here's one I use for MLA:

    ..de MP
    ..in
    ..RT
    ..if \\n(1T .sp \\n(PDu