[9fans] deroff, pic - Plan9

  2. Re: [9fans] deroff, pic

    > 1) Should deroff -w interpret curly quotes ()? Right now it doesn't,
    > so spell is treating any words with either character as spelling errors.

    ; 9diff deroff.c
    /n/sources/plan9//sys/src/cmd/deroff.c:963,968 - deroff.c:963,970
    return chars[c];
    switch(c){
    case 0x2013: case 0x2014: /* en dash, em dash */
    + case L'':
    + case L'':
    return SPECIAL;
    }
    return EXTENDED;

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] deroff, pic

    It might also be worth pointing out that troff does just fine with `` and ''
    as curly quotes, so there's not a lot of need to use the Unicode ones.
    In fact, in the default fonts I find that the Unicode ones don't typeset
    particularly well -- they are too compressed.

    So a more complete solution is just not to use them.

    Russ

  4. Re: [9fans] deroff, pic

    > It might also be worth pointing out that troff does just fine with `` and ''
    > as curly quotes, so there's not a lot of need to use the Unicode ones.
    > In fact, in the default fonts I find that the Unicode ones don't typeset
    > particularly well -- they are too compressed.
    >
    > So a more complete solution is just not to use them.

    however, that's not a solution for documents which have used them.

    and in theory, and have been specially crafted by the font designer,
    taking into consideration all those fine details that require fonts to
    be hand-crafted and not built by computers. (knuth's cmrm font has
    at 042 and at 0134, the texbook, appendix f, p. 427.)

    wouldn't the best fix for poorly designed fonts be ... a better font?
    at least in theory.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread