[9fans] VMware Server 2.0 Video Chipset - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] VMware Server 2.0 Video Chipset - Plan9 ; Hi! I am trying to boot a new installation of Plan9 in a VMware Server 2.0. All is fine (installation under textonly) but I canīt get rio. I get this on the console: aux/vga: vgactlw: linear 0x8000000 0x0: unknown vmware ...

  1. [9fans] VMware Server 2.0 Video Chipset

    Hi!

    I am trying to boot a new installation of Plan9 in a VMware Server 2.0.
    All is fine (installation under textonly) but I canīt get rio.

    I get this on the console:

    aux/vga: vgactlw: linear 0x8000000 0x0: unknown vmware id 0740
    rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer.

    Then, I try this:

    1. Edit plan9.ini and change monitor=vesa: Plan9 boot stops before rio
    starts (hanged)
    2. Edit /lib/vgadb and add a new vmware card, with the new id (0x0740)
    and recompile the pcf kernel with the options of vmware1(kernel 1) and
    vmware2 (kernel 2) id's. Copy the kernels to 9fat partition and boot
    with them. Both kernel stops before rio starts (hanged)

    Any help?

    Thanks. slds.

  2. Re: [9fans] VMware Server 2.0 Video Chipset

    The kernel file edited was /sys/src/9/pc/vgavmware.c and copy the
    options of vmware1 and vmware2 cards.

    slds

    Rodolfo kix Garcia escribió:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am trying to boot a new installation of Plan9 in a VMware Server
    > 2.0. All is fine (installation under textonly) but I canīt get rio.
    >
    > I get this on the console:
    >
    > aux/vga: vgactlw: linear 0x8000000 0x0: unknown vmware id 0740
    > rio: can't open display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer.
    >
    > Then, I try this:
    >
    > 1. Edit plan9.ini and change monitor=vesa: Plan9 boot stops before rio
    > starts (hanged)
    > 2. Edit /lib/vgadb and add a new vmware card, with the new id (0x0740)
    > and recompile the pcf kernel with the options of vmware1(kernel 1) and
    > vmware2 (kernel 2) id's. Copy the kernels to 9fat partition and boot
    > with them. Both kernel stops before rio starts (hanged)
    >
    > Any help?
    >
    > Thanks. slds.

+ Reply to Thread