Re: [9fans] bitsy anyone? - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] bitsy anyone? - Plan9 ; > Does anyone happen to have a working bitsy kernel and paqdisk? > > I've tried both compiling myself and the kernel/paqdisk that used to be on nemo's contrib, both to no avail. > > Either way, I get a ...

  1. Re: [9fans] bitsy anyone?

    > Does anyone happen to have a working bitsy kernel and paqdisk?
    >
    > I've tried both compiling myself and the kernel/paqdisk that used to be on nemo's contrib, both to no avail.
    >
    > Either way, I get a kernel panic on the iPaq. The various instructions around on the wiki and such have the user partition too small for the paqdisk that gets built "out of the box" from a fresh Plan 9 install... so I did increase the partition sizes accordingly. I'm hoping that's not the problem...

    Hello,

    I am currently using Plan 9 on a Compaq iPaq h3650.

    I compiled the kernel and the paqdisk in May 2008 from a
    current Plan 9. It worked really fine, except with the Wi-Fi.

    However, I had some problems when uploading the paqdisk
    on the iPaq when the image file is larger than 4 MB. The image
    seems to be corrupted during the upload on the iPaq and Plan 9
    crash during boot. This problem does not appear with a smaller paqdisk.

    Also, as you said, If you leave the armpaqproto configuration file as it is,
    the image file created will be larger than the partition, so you must modify it.

    In fact, I read in a documentation you cannot easily resize
    the partition since it is apparently hard coded in the kernel.

    One of the kernel and paqdisk I made is available on my website [1].
    I also put the concerning armpaqproto file online.
    It was compiled in May 2008.

    I also tried from old Nemo's and John's [2], and it worked fine too.
    But they are really old.

    [1] http://www.9grid.fr/misc/plan9/ipaq_h3650/work-mine
    [2] http://www.9grid.fr/misc/plan9/ipaq_h3650/work-other

    --
    David du Colombier

  2. Re: [9fans] bitsy anyone?

    > However, I had some problems when uploading the paqdisk
    > on the iPaq when the image file is larger than 4 MB. The image
    > seems to be corrupted during the upload on the iPaq and Plan 9
    > crash during boot. This problem does not appear with a smaller paqdisk.

    I don't have a Plan 9 system or a bitsy at hand but I remember
    running into this. The hard coded partition definition is fparts in
    /sys/src/9/boot/paq.c. The ramdisk partition is defined to be 4 MB although the
    various documents imply it should be 6 MB.

    I recall simply changing the ramdisk entry to,
    "add ramdisk 0x0200000 0x0800000",
    allowed me to use larger images.

    Hope this helps,
    eoghan