[9fans] has anyone used xmonad? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] has anyone used xmonad? - Plan9 ; i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on it. andrey...

  1. [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?

    i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
    written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
    completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
    it.

    andrey

  2. Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?

    > i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
    > written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
    > completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
    > it.

    I use it as my X WM. So far I've been pretty satisfied with it. By
    default you can't tweak the size of a window within a column of
    mutliple windows, but there is an extension in the contrib package
    which will do this. It works well with dual monitors.

    I've been planning to add some code to the config (or an extension) to
    allow certain things to be driven by the mouse. I haven't done this
    yet but it appears doable.

  3. Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?

    On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM, andrey mirtchovski
    wrote:
    > i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
    > written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
    > completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
    > it.

    Perhaps more relevant is wmii, which is also a tiling window manager
    for X somewhat resembling acme. However as far as I'm concerned wmii
    has one up on xmonad since it serves a 9p interface.
    -sqweek

  4. Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?

    On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM, sqweek wrote:
    > On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM, andrey mirtchovski
    > wrote:
    >> i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
    >> written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
    >> completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
    >> it.

    I've played around with it a bit. It's quite nice really all in. I
    prefer using the keyboard where possible, so I really like the fact
    that it's all keyboard driven.

    --
    Matthew R Moore

  5. Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?

    Not very relevant but anyway: there are also Ion/Ion2 and pwm in the
    category of completely keyboard-controllable tiling window managers, if you
    are interested. Ion/Ion2 is Lua scriptable. Xmonad is rather young and the
    screenshots seemed to me to mimic Ion/Ion2 which in turn is based on
    pwm--both very popular.

    But if someone wants "simple, stable, and fast" why should they not use GNU
    screen? What is X good for except eye candy and graphical web browsers ;-?

    --On Monday, November 10, 2008 1:58 AM +0900 sqweek
    wrote:

    > On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM, andrey mirtchovski
    > wrote:
    >> i stumbled upon this the other day. xmonad is a tiling window manager
    >> written in haskell that looks similar to acme, although it can be
    >> completely keyboard-driven. if anyone has used it please comment on
    >> it.

    > Perhaps more relevant is wmii, which is also a tiling window manager
    > for X somewhat resembling acme. However as far as I'm concerned wmii
    > has one up on xmonad since it serves a 9p interface.
    > -sqweek

  6. Re: [9fans] has anyone used xmonad?

+ Reply to Thread