Setting the resolution - Plan9

This is a discussion on Setting the resolution - Plan9 ; Hello guys, I'm a plan9 newbie and installed it on one of my computers yesterday. But I'm kinda stuck with setting the resolution for my monitor. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 701n (TFT) but can't get beyond 800x600 for some ...

  1. Setting the resolution

    Hello guys,
    I'm a plan9 newbie and installed it on one of my computers yesterday.
    But I'm kinda stuck with setting the resolution for my monitor. I have
    a Samsung SyncMaster 701n (TFT) but can't get beyond 800x600 for some
    reason. When I try to set the resolution to anything higher the
    monitor goes black and displays:
    Not Optimum Mode
    Recommended Mode:
    1280x1024 60Hz

    I even added an entry in /lib/vgadb to fit my monitors needs, alas
    without success.
    This is what I added to it (I got the data by running xvidtune in a
    freebsd live cd):
    sm701n=1280x1024
    clock=135.00
    shb=1296 ehb=1440 ht=1688
    vrs=1025 vre=1028 vt=1066
    hsync=+ vsync=+

    That, as I said above, didn't work with plan9.

    Could it be something with my graphics card maybe (it's onboard)?
    I hope someone can give me a hint

  2. Re: [9fans] Setting the resolution

    > Could it be something with my graphics card maybe (it's onboard)?
    > I hope someone can give me a hint

    which video controller? i've had similar problems with an nvidia
    card and a monitor with tight timings. by beating on aux/vga
    and stretching the timings in vgadb, i did get something my monitor
    can sync to, though not a proper resolution.

    - erik

  3. Re: Setting the resolution

    On Oct 20, 2:51 pm, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > > Could it be something with my graphics card maybe (it's onboard)?
    > > I hope someone can give me a hint

    > which video controller? i've had similar problems with an nvidia
    > card and a monitor with tight timings. by beating on aux/vga
    > and stretching the timings in vgadb, i did get something my monitor
    > can sync to, though not a proper resolution.
    >
    > - erik

    I tried it with different monitors and they work with higher
    resolutions so it must be something with the monitor.
    Unfortunately I have little knowledge of plan9 and vgadb.
    Can you tell me how you did that?

  4. Re: [9fans] Setting the resolution

    > On Oct 20, 2:51 pm, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > > > Could it be something with my graphics card maybe (it's onboard)?
    > > > I hope someone can give me a hint

    > > which video controller? i've had similar problems with an nvidia
    > > card and a monitor with tight timings. by beating on aux/vga
    > > and stretching the timings in vgadb, i did get something my monitor
    > > can sync to, though not a proper resolution.
    > >
    > > - erik

    > I tried it with different monitors and they work with higher
    > resolutions so it must be something with the monitor.
    > Unfortunately I have little knowledge of plan9 and vgadb.
    > Can you tell me how you did that?

    i'm ashamed to admit, it was by trial and error.
    and a few hacks to vga/nvidia.c.

    - erik

  5. Re: Setting the resolution

    On Oct 20, 5:08 pm, quans...@coraid.com (erik quanstrom) wrote:

    > > > which video controller? i've had similar problems with an nvidia
    > > > card and a monitor with tight timings. by beating on aux/vga
    > > > and stretching the timings in vgadb, i did get something my monitor
    > > > can sync to, though not a proper resolution.

    > > > - erik

    > > I tried it with different monitors and they work with higher
    > > resolutions so it must be something with the monitor.
    > > Unfortunately I have little knowledge of plan9 and vgadb.
    > > Can you tell me how you did that?

    > i'm ashamed to admit, it was by trial and error.
    > and a few hacks to vga/nvidia.c.
    >
    > - erik

    I think it must be possible without hacks.
    I'm probably just too ignorant to get it to work :/

  6. Re: [9fans] Setting the resolution

    >> i'm ashamed to admit, it was by trial and error.
    >> and a few hacks to vga/nvidia.c.
    >>
    >> - erik

    > I think it must be possible without hacks.
    > I'm probably just too ignorant to get it to work :/

    this depends on your monitor and your exact nv chip.
    i have a syncmaster 204b and a
    1.0.0: vid 03.00.00 10de/01d3 10 0:fd000000 16777216 1:f000000c 134217728 2:00000000 16 3:fc000004 16777216 4:00000000 16
    this chip doesn't work at all without some modifications,
    which are likely always correct. but the timing is still off;
    the monitor doesn't sync when the chip is given the
    correct timings. i don't have an oscilliscope handy, so
    i don't know if the timing is correct and the monitor
    can't handle it or what. and i don't remember which
    changes have to do with timing anymore.

    i attached my hacked-up copy. nv almost always goes off
    into the weeds if given a bad timing. so you might
    not want to do this on your fileserver.

    i'd probablly start with some of the register fixups; i'd
    try not to mess with the clock unless i had to.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread