[9fans] intel chipset graphics controller - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller - Plan9 ; Hey folks, yesterday I installed Plan 9 to my ThinkPad (X30) and the graphical installer worked fine (with 1024x768x8 and xga). And now if I first login with user glenda the display gets fading green into purple - looks scary. ...

  1. [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller

    Hey folks,

    yesterday I installed Plan 9 to my ThinkPad (X30) and the graphical
    installer worked fine (with 1024x768x8 and xga). And now if I first login
    with user glenda the display gets fading green into purple - looks scary.

    I had this once with a wrong or old/buggy intel driver under linux also ...

    Can't I just use the driver like in the installer?

    Regards, y0shi

    Here is what linux tells me with lspci:
    (visual http://yokuts.org/lspci.png)

    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset
    Graphics Controller] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: IBM ThinkPad A/T/X Series
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
    Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1+ D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
    PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-) Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0
    PME- Kernel modules: intelfb

    --
    psyc://nemesis.psyc.biz/~y0shi
    http://psyc.biz/y0shi_public.key

  2. Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller

    > Can't I just use the driver like in the installer?

    setting "monitor=vesa" would probablly do the trick.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller

    >> Can't I just use the driver like in the installer?
    >
    > setting "monitor=vesa" would probablly do the trick.
    >
    > - erik

    than I have a probably easy question: how can I get into the system and
    edit plan9.ini in order to add monitor=vesa?

    I know this (see down below), but how do I get there?

    9fat:
    sam /n/9fat/plan9.ini

    Thanks again, regards,
    y0shi

  4. Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller

    > than I have a probably easy question: how can I get into the system and
    > edit plan9.ini in order to add monitor=vesa?
    >
    > I know this (see down below), but how do I get there?

    i'm not sure what the problem is here. can you not view the screen?
    assuming that's the problem, you could
    * enter a bogus monitor & resolution if prompted
    * boot from livecd. if /dev/sdC0/9fat doesn't appear
    you may need to run
    cd /dev/sdC0
    disk/fdisk -p data>ctl ; disk/prep -p plan9>ctl
    first

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] intel chipset graphics controller

    Am Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:51:44 -0400
    schrieb erik quanstrom :

    > > than I have a probably easy question: how can I get into the system
    > > and edit plan9.ini in order to add monitor=vesa?
    > >
    > > I know this (see down below), but how do I get there?

    > i'm not sure what the problem is here. can you not view the screen?
    > assuming that's the problem, you could
    > * enter a bogus monitor & resolution if prompted
    > * boot from livecd. if /dev/sdC0/9fat doesn't appear
    > you may need to run
    > cd /dev/sdC0
    > disk/fdisk -p data>ctl ; disk/prep -p plan9>ctl
    > first
    >
    > - erik

    i just mountet 9fat from linux and edited monitor=xga into monitor=vesa
    now i have a screen to work with.

    thank you!

    regards, y0shi

    --