[9fans] Plan 9 floppy boot local hdd install onto IBM ThinkPad X30 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan 9 floppy boot local hdd install onto IBM ThinkPad X30 - Plan9 ; Hey folks, too bad that one can't post to comp.os.plan9 - I did this and now it's gone and I have to retype this ... .... so now a little shorter ;-) My plan is to install Plan 9 onto ...

  1. [9fans] Plan 9 floppy boot local hdd install onto IBM ThinkPad X30

    Hey folks,

    too bad that one can't post to comp.os.plan9 - I did this and now it's
    gone and I have to retype this ...
    .... so now a little shorter ;-)

    My plan is to install Plan 9 onto my ThinkPad X30 from a primary FAT32
    partition by booting from an external (not usb) floppy drive.

    "If you wish to install from local media, you need a FAT file system or
    [...]" [1].

    He is booting from the floppy - this is how far I got:

    PBS1...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
    ELCR: 0800
    apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=40 di=ffff ebx=5976 esi=-1
    initialprobe, to find plan9.ini...using fd0!dos!plan0.ini
    ..

    Then there is this Startup Menu with default 1 timeout 10s I took this
    ans then:

    pcirouting: 8086/248A at pin 1 irq 11
    #Y0: Ricoh 476 PCI/Cardbus bridge, 50000000 intl 11
    #Y1: Ricoh 476 PCI/Cardbus bridge, 50100000 intl 11
    dev A0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 203F
    LLBA sectors 78242976
    Unknown boot device: sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz
    Bootdevices: fd0
    boot from:

    I tried this:

    boot from: fd0!9pccd.gz
    booting fd0!9pccd.gz
    error walking to 9pccd.gz
    boot from:

    .... well I don't know further (I'm really new to Plan 9)
    Any Help much appreciated :-)

    regards, y0shi

    [1] http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...n_instructions

    --
    psyc://nemesis.psyc.biz/~y0shi
    http://psyc.biz/y0shi_public.key

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 floppy boot local hdd install onto IBM ThinkPadX30

    > I tried this:
    >
    > boot from: fd0!9pccd.gz
    > booting fd0!9pccd.gz
    > error walking to 9pccd.gz
    > boot from:
    >
    > ... well I don't know further (I'm really new to Plan 9)
    > Any Help much appreciated :-)

    the floppy kernel is 9pcflop.gz so the answer to the boot
    from question is:

    fd0!9pcflop.gz

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 floppy boot local hdd install onto IBM ThinkPadX30

    Am Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:50:10 -0400
    schrieb erik quanstrom :

    > > I tried this:
    > >
    > > boot from: fd0!9pccd.gz
    > > booting fd0!9pccd.gz
    > > error walking to 9pccd.gz
    > > boot from:
    > >
    > > ... well I don't know further (I'm really new to Plan 9)
    > > Any Help much appreciated :-)

    > the floppy kernel is 9pcflop.gz so the answer to the boot
    > from question is:
    >
    > fd0!9pcflop.gz
    >
    > - erik

    Thank you, I was now able to try this out and it worked perfectly.

    The kernel seemed to be distracted by my PCMCIA Atheros wificard
    (looked like a freeze right after detecting RAM etc.), but booted fine
    without that card.

    So now I have my first Plan 9 to play with - Thank you again.

    Regards, y0shi

    --
    psyc://nemesis.psyc.biz/~y0shi
    http://psyc.biz/y0shi_public.key