[9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9 - Plan9 ; Hi, I have a server running Inferno, exporting its namespace and playing the full Inferno authentication game. I'd like to be able to mount this under Plan 9. Would it be possible for me to run an Inferno locally, mount ...

  1. [9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9

    Hi,

    I have a server running Inferno, exporting its namespace and playing the
    full Inferno authentication game. I'd like to be able to mount this
    under Plan 9.

    Would it be possible for me to run an Inferno locally, mount its
    factotum at /mnt/factotum on the Plan 9 host, make sure that the Inferno
    factotum has an appropriate key (from authcvt), and use the Plan 9
    mount?

    Is there any way for an better way for me to be able to have
    authenticated connections between an Inferno instance and a Plan 9
    terminal? Any chance of Plan 9's factotum learning how to speak infauth?

    Thanks,
    -- vs

  2. Re: [9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9

    >Any chance of Plan 9's factotum learning how to speak infauth?

    that was done as a GSoC project, but i then made the mistake
    of trying to include it as part of a much larger change on
    the Inferno side. it wasn't a silly mistake: factotum doesn't
    support the key structure required for public keys and signatures,
    so something more was needed. i also wanted to extend Inferno's
    authentication scheme. that in turn is requiring a big (ie, visible)
    change in a few old Inferno modules and commands.

    still, for your purposes the temporary hack of stashing the
    existing certificate data in hex would be fine.
    i'll send you some changes for you to try.

  3. Re: [9fans] Using Inferno factotum with Plan 9

    That's something I was always wondering about. I'm starting to understand.

    On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:34 PM, C H Forsyth wrote:
    >>Any chance of Plan 9's factotum learning how to speak infauth?

    > that was done as a GSoC project, but i then made the mistake
    > of trying to include it as part of a much larger change on
    > the Inferno side. it wasn't a silly mistake: factotum doesn't
    > support the key structure required for public keys and signatures,
    > so something more was needed. i also wanted to extend Inferno's
    > authentication scheme. that in turn is requiring a big (ie, visible)
    > change in a few old Inferno modules and commands.
    >
    > still, for your purposes the temporary hack of stashing the
    > existing certificate data in hex would be fine.
    > i'll send you some changes for you to try.

+ Reply to Thread