[9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace - Plan9 ; Hi, I am trying to work with files containing whitespace, many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing). I can fix the buglet in B (some string ...

  1. [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace

    Hi,

    I am trying to work with files containing whitespace,
    many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B
    don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing).

    I can fix the buglet in B (some string flattening) but
    a cursory look at the sam source and it seems to support
    delimiters in commands (e.g. B "file with spaces in it.txt").

    however I cannot open files with whitespace in their names
    even if it type them in in the sam command windows.

    am I missing somthing or is this a real bug?

    -Steve

  2. Re: [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace

    2008/10/15 Steve Simon :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to work with files containing whitespace,
    > many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B
    > don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing).
    >
    > I can fix the buglet in B (some string flattening) but
    > a cursory look at the sam source and it seems to support
    > delimiters in commands (e.g. B "file with spaces in it.txt").
    >
    > however I cannot open files with whitespace in their names
    > even if it type them in in the sam command windows.
    >
    > am I missing somthing or is this a real bug?
    >
    > -Steve

    So does anybody know? I don't.
    Ruda

  3. Re: [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace

    2008/10/15 Steve Simon :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to work with files containing whitespace,
    > many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B
    > don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing).
    >
    > I can fix the buglet in B (some string flattening) but
    > a cursory look at the sam source and it seems to support
    > delimiters in commands (e.g. B "file with spaces in it.txt").
    >
    > however I cannot open files with whitespace in their names
    > even if it type them in in the sam command windows.
    >
    > am I missing somthing or is this a real bug?
    >
    > -Steve

    So does anybody know? I don't.
    Ruda

  4. Re: [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace

    Sam cannot handle file names with spaces. There is one way to
    work around this that I can think of without renaming the file. Make
    a new buffer with nothing in it. ("B " without the quotes is how you
    do that.) Then

    edit
    ,>cat > 'a b'

    Clunky but so be it. Sam comes from a system where spaces in
    file names made no sense.

    -rob

    On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
    > 2008/10/15 Steve Simon :
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am trying to work with files containing whitespace,
    >> many programs in plan9 are happy with this but sam and B
    >> don't appear to be (unless I have broken somthing).
    >>
    >> I can fix the buglet in B (some string flattening) but
    >> a cursory look at the sam source and it seems to support
    >> delimiters in commands (e.g. B "file with spaces in it.txt").
    >>
    >> however I cannot open files with whitespace in their names
    >> even if it type them in in the sam command windows.
    >>
    >> am I missing somthing or is this a real bug?
    >>
    >> -Steve
    >>

    > So does anybody know? I don't.
    > Ruda

  5. Re: [9fans] sam & filenames containing whitespace

    On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Rob Pike wrote:
    > > edit
    > ,>cat > 'a b'
    >
    > Clunky but so be it. Sam comes from a system where spaces in
    > file names made no sense.
    >
    > -rob

    Another solution is to use trfs(4)
    http://planb.lsub.org/magic/man2html/4/trfs