Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC - Plan9 ; > But, I don't have the source code. But, you couldn't use it even if you had it. Forget erik quanstrom's patchworks--he may be high on IQ, but he certainly is rather low on EQ. Wait for the next ISO ...

  1. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    > But, I don't have the source code.

    But, you couldn't use it even if you had it. Forget erik quanstrom's
    patchworks--he may be high on IQ, but he certainly is rather low on EQ.

    Wait for the next ISO release and hope for the best. Useful, stable
    patches--and hopefully the one that fixes this problem--will have found
    their way into binaries by then.

    > Also, how to rebuild the code once i get it.

    Set up another Plan 9 and compile on it?! Or cross-compile if GCC has a
    "POSIX-free" target?! Use some Vita Nuova secret weapon?! Not worth it,
    definitely.

    > If there is any step by step tutorial sort of thing, please let me know.

    Dream on. This mailing list already hosts a more-than-20-post-long thread
    on how to kill rio when you are stuck. Not one soul has yet admitted
    something simply needs to be fixed. All they do is CE-ly sidestepping this
    non-CE-bread-and-butter guy's sane non-CE question. If you feed on
    something other than thermal paste you need to find yourself a better
    platform... or you could start taking up thermal paste as a side dish.

    --On Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:12 PM +0530 Sasidhar Kasturi
    wrote:

    > erik quanstrom wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I tried to install plan 9 on virtual pc and succedded. But,
    >>> once i boot through plan 9 errors are coming.
    >>> Attached the screen shot of the error.
    >>>

    >> the plan 9 ide driver apparently disagrees with virtual pc.
    >> this isn't a fossil or venti problem.
    >>
    >> unfortunately, i have no access to virtual pc so the rest of this
    >> email is a thought experiment ....
    >>
    >> command 30
    >> data f09534b0 limit f0964eb0 dlen 8192 status 0 error 0
    >> lba 210592 -> 210592, count 16 -> 16 (16)
    >> 0x00 0x04 0xac 0x36 0x03 0xe0 0x58
    >> 0x40: e306 0x42: c0000 x48: 00
    >> 0x4a 0000
    >>
    >> so
    >> the command is write sectors (Cws; 0x30)
    >> lba 0x0336a0 (according to the driver)
    >>
    >> the registers say:
    >>
    >> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 As
    >> 0x00 0x04 0xac 0x36 0x03 0xe0 0x58
    >> error count lba0 lba1 lba2 stat
    >>
    >> at lba 0x3036ac (4 sectors to go) status Bsy|Df|Drdy.
    >>
    >> i would think you're issuing a command before the device
    >> is ready for you. this patch may help.
    >>
    >> minooka; diff -c /sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c
    >> /n/dump/2008/0908/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c
    >> /sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c:1418,1424 -
    >> /n/dump/2008/0908/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c:1418,1424
    >> ctlr = drive->ctlr;
    >> cmdport = ctlr->cmdport;
    >> ctlport = ctlr->ctlport;
    >> - if(ataready(cmdport, ctlport, drive->dev, Bsy|Drq, Drdy,
    >> 101*1000) < 0)
    >> + if(ataready(cmdport, ctlport, drive->dev, Bsy|Drq, 0, 101*1000)
    >> < 0)
    >> return -1;
    >> ilock(ctlr);
    >>
    >> - erik
    >>

    > Hello Erik,
    > Thank you for that. But, I don't have the source code. Can you
    > please point me to the place where i can download the source of plan 9.
    > Also, how to rebuild the code once i get it. If there is any step by step
    > tutorial sort of thing, please let me know.
    >
    > Thanking you,
    > Sasidhar.

  2. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    So Eris, you comming to iw9p?

    -Steve

  3. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    > So Eris, you coming to iw9p?

    Sure not. I can't even (financially) afford a trip to the nearest
    town--Greece is way out of the little volume of phase space this poor Gibbs
    ensemble can sweep in any short time period from now ;-) Nonetheless,
    vicarial pleasure is always an option: you go there, enjoy your trip, tell
    9fans about it, I'll be reading the chronicles...

    --On Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:54 PM +0100 Steve Simon
    wrote:

    > So Eris, you coming to iw9p?
    >
    > -Steve

  4. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    > Wait for the next ISO release and hope for the best. Useful, stable patches--and hopefully the one that fixes this problem--will have found their way into binaries by then.

    What next ISO release?

    uriel

  5. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    > What next ISO release?

    Either... one created from a later compile downloadable from Bell Labs or
    any of the mirrors--for example, the one at kix.in which is continually
    updated. I recently had the opportunity to download it. The install/live
    image I first tried on VPC anteceded this one. Unfortunately, the new one
    didn't contain (or pretend to contain) a fix for this specific problem but
    I'm rather sure it contained at least _some_ critical patches in the
    shipped binaries; or, the whole "release-a-new-image" process is cuckoo.
    Although, the last update to sources is dated April 12, 2008.

    Or... the next "edition." Some 5e if such thing is ever released.

    --On Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:13 PM +0200 Uriel wrote:

    >> Wait for the next ISO release and hope for the best. Useful, stable
    >> patches--and hopefully the one that fixes this problem--will have found
    >> their way into binaries by then.

    > What next ISO release?
    >
    > uriel

  6. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    > Although, the last update to sources is dated April 12, 2008.

    What makes you think that?

    uriel

  7. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9on Microsoft Virtual PC

    Uriel wrote:
    >> Although, the last update to sources is dated April 12, 2008.
    >>

    > What makes you think that?

    You're all taking the bait again.

  8. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    you too

    On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Wes Kussmaul wrote:
    > Uriel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Although, the last update to sources is dated April 12, 2008.
    >>>

    >> What makes you think that?
    >>

    > You're all taking the bait again.

  9. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9on Microsoft Virtual PC

    > You're all taking the bait again.

    Come _on_. I'm not that subtle a "baiter," or... am I?

    --On Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:35 PM -0400 Wes Kussmaul
    wrote:

    > Uriel wrote:
    >>> Although, the last update to sources is dated April 12, 2008.
    >>>

    >> What makes you think that?
    >>

    > You're all taking the bait again.

  10. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9

    > From: eris.discordia@gmail.com
    > Date: Mon Oct 13 08:03:02 PDT 2008
    > To: 9fans@9fans.net
    > Subject: Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9
    >
    >> You're all taking the bait again.

    > Come _on_. I'm not that subtle a "baiter," or... am I?

    you're a master baiter.

  11. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9

    > you're a master baiter.

    I didn't get it after the first reading. Not even after the third reading
    did it dawn on me. When it did I thought to myself, "the man must be a
    pervert to think even mailing lists can be used to that end." But I admit
    it was _totally_ shrewd.

    --On Monday, October 13, 2008 8:15 AM -0700 Skip Tavakkolian
    <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

    >> From: eris.discordia@gmail.com
    >> Date: Mon Oct 13 08:03:02 PDT 2008
    >> To: 9fans@9fans.net
    >> Subject: Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9
    >>
    >>> You're all taking the bait again.

    >> Come _on_. I'm not that subtle a "baiter," or... am I?

    > you're a master baiter.

+ Reply to Thread