Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC - Plan9 ; erik quanstrom wrote: >> Hello, >> I tried to install plan 9 on virtual pc and succedded. But, >> once i boot through plan 9 errors are coming. >> Attached the screen shot of the error. >> > > the ...

  1. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I tried to install plan 9 on virtual pc and succedded. But,
    >> once i boot through plan 9 errors are coming.
    >> Attached the screen shot of the error.
    >>

    > the plan 9 ide driver apparently disagrees with virtual pc.
    > this isn't a fossil or venti problem.
    >
    > unfortunately, i have no access to virtual pc so the rest of this
    > email is a thought experiment ....
    >
    > command 30
    > data f09534b0 limit f0964eb0 dlen 8192 status 0 error 0
    > lba 210592 -> 210592, count 16 -> 16 (16)
    > 0x00 0x04 0xac 0x36 0x03 0xe0 0x58
    > 0x40: e306 0x42: c0000 x48: 00
    > 0x4a 0000
    >
    > so
    > the command is write sectors (Cws; 0x30)
    > lba 0x0336a0 (according to the driver)
    >
    > the registers say:
    >
    > 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 As
    > 0x00 0x04 0xac 0x36 0x03 0xe0 0x58
    > error count lba0 lba1 lba2 stat
    >
    > at lba 0x3036ac (4 sectors to go) status Bsy|Df|Drdy.
    >
    > i would think you're issuing a command before the device
    > is ready for you. this patch may help.
    >
    > minooka; diff -c /sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c
    > /n/dump/2008/0908/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c
    > /sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c:1418,1424 -
    > /n/dump/2008/0908/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c:1418,1424
    > ctlr = drive->ctlr;
    > cmdport = ctlr->cmdport;
    > ctlport = ctlr->ctlport;
    > - if(ataready(cmdport, ctlport, drive->dev, Bsy|Drq, Drdy,
    > 101*1000) < 0)
    > + if(ataready(cmdport, ctlport, drive->dev, Bsy|Drq, 0, 101*1000)
    > < 0)
    > return -1;
    > ilock(ctlr);
    >
    > - erik

    Hello Erik,
    Thank you for that. But, I don't have the source code. Can you
    please point me to the place where i can download the source of plan 9.
    Also, how to rebuild the code once i get it. If there is any step by
    step tutorial sort of thing, please let me know.

    Thanking you,
    Sasidhar.

  2. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 onMicrosoft Virtual PC

    > can you please point me to the place where i can download the source of plan 9. Also, how
    > to rebuild the code once i get it.

    If you want to try Erik's patch, you could install plan 9 on real
    hardware or under a different virtual machine like qemu or vmware, and
    follow the instructions at
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...iling_kernels/

    Or just keep using the other VM and give up on Microsoft Virtual PC
    for the moment.

    grai

  3. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 on

    >> can you please point me to the place where i can download the source of plan 9. Also, how
    >> to rebuild the code once i get it.

    > If you want to try Erik's patch, you could install plan 9 on real
    > hardware or under a different virtual machine like qemu or vmware, and
    > follow the instructions at
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...iling_kernels/
    >
    > Or just keep using the other VM and give up on Microsoft Virtual PC
    > for the moment.

    this is a repeat of a private email; i didn't think
    this was going to be generally interesting.

    option 1:
    assuming the live cd boots, there is a test kernel on sources
    in my contrib area which can be put into 9fat without booting
    from the virtual hard drive.

    open a new window in the installer. i'll assume that /dev/sdC0
    is your virtual hard drive.

    ; cd /dev/sdC0
    ; disk/fdisk -p data>ctl ; disk/prep -p plan9>ctl
    ; 9fat:
    ; cd /n/9fat:
    ; 9fs sources
    ; cp /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/9pcf.gz 9pcide.gz
    now edit plan9.ini. add a second bootfile line like:
    bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcide.gz

    now reboot and hope. :-)

    (for those following along at home, the sdata.c i'm working from
    is in /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/sdata.c.)

    option 2:
    install onto aoe storage. vblade
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=143790
    runs on linux, if you have a linux machine. or perhaps you could
    run it on virtual pc. (there's a version for plan 9, too.)
    you'll need to put these lines into your plan9.ini

    # assuming that your vblade is running as 42.0
    # and you are using ether0 and ether1 to serve aoe:

    aoeif=ether0 ether1
    aoedev=f!#æ/aoe/42.0

    (in any event, there are many ways to try to get this working.
    e.g. if you had a seperate machine as a fileserver, you could boot
    from it and be more free to experiment.)

    dispite the gratitous ad hominem, i'm sorry that this is difficult.
    unfortunately, i don't have a windows box or virtual pc. thus
    i can't properly test the change, even though it seems required
    by the ata spec.

    even if i did, it's presumptious to assume that the folks at the
    labs have the time to review changes and incorporate them.

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] fossil:diskWriteRawFailed error with Plan 9 on

    > in any event, there are many ways to try to get this working.

    (I meant to include something in my email about a clumsy method like
    re-packing plan9.iso with the modified kernel.)

+ Reply to Thread