[9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc) - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc) - Plan9 ; Hello, is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure about '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me to be a valid file ...

  1. [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)

    Hello,

    is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
    about '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
    to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
    work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.

    Thanks
    Ruda

  2. Re: [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)

    It's the plumber that decides. If you want those characters to be understood as
    file name characters in general - and you really don't, whatever you think now;
    consider what happens when you click on "includefile.h" - then change the
    plumbing rules.

    -rob

    On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
    > about '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
    > to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
    > work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ruda

  3. Re: [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)

    2008/10/8 Rob Pike

    > It's the plumber that decides. If you want those characters to be
    > understood as
    > file name characters in general - and you really don't, whatever you think
    > now;
    > consider what happens when you click on "includefile.h" - then change the
    > plumbing rules.
    >
    > -rob

    Ok, I see. I read the manual page where the plumber is not mentioned (with
    the exception of 'Incl' command explanation. I thought that openning of
    files like "" could work at least when the whole of the name is swept (not
    just clicked) with button 3 (or first with button 1 and then clicked with
    3).

    Ruda

  4. Re: [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)

    Insert a plumbing rule before the usual one that considers those
    characters part of filenames. Now you can plumb those scripts. When
    it fails to find the file named "includefile.h" (with the quotes as
    part of the filename), the plumber will move on to the next rule to
    check for includefile.h (no quotes).

    If there are problems with this approach then I haven't thought of them yet.

    grai

  5. Re: [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)

    2008/10/8 grai

    > Insert a plumbing rule before the usual one that considers those
    > characters part of filenames. Now you can plumb those scripts. When
    > it fails to find the file named "includefile.h" (with the quotes as
    > part of the filename), the plumber will move on to the next rule to
    > check for includefile.h (no quotes).
    >
    > If there are problems with this approach then I haven't thought of them
    > yet.
    >
    > grai
    >
    > Thanks. Seems to work for me just OK. But maybe R. Pike has some

    counterexample...
    Ruda

  6. Re: [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)

    > is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
    > about '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
    > to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
    > work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.

    They are very odd file names. Rather than pollute your
    plumbing rules, you can type something like

    New ""

    in acme and then execute it to open the file.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread