Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win - Plan9 ; > > the fact that the tick shows is also a bug. notice the scroll bar. > > What do you mean? You're showing no characters in the pane, the > insertion point is after the last character. yes, but ...

  1. Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win

    > > the fact that the tick shows is also a bug. notice the scroll bar.
    >
    > What do you mean? You're showing no characters in the pane, the
    > insertion point is after the last character.

    yes, but you're not showing the line which includes the prompt.
    either the tick and the prompt need displaying or neither do. this
    line is not long enough to wrap.

    > Or do you want to have the ability to scroll beyond the end of your
    > text, to have some imaginary scroll advance taking you out into the
    > blue past the edge of the world?

    bingo.

    > Or do you want to disallow scrolling to just past the last character?
    > How many characters would you say need to remain showing?

    how about fixing the bug. it's perfectly reasonable to have a blank
    screen with 0 lines. (an empty file, for example.)

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win

    * erik quanstrom (quanstro@quanstro.net) wrote:
    > > > the fact that the tick shows is also a bug. notice the scroll bar.

    > > What do you mean? You're showing no characters in the pane, the
    > > insertion point is after the last character.

    > yes, but you're not showing the line which includes the prompt.
    > either the tick and the prompt need displaying or neither do. this
    > line is not long enough to wrap.

    To me it looks more like a consequence of Plan 9's treatment of files as
    sequences of bytes/chars/runes rather then sequences of lines as is common
    in Unix. Basically, you can't scroll beyond the end of the file, and if the
    insertion point coincides with the eof there's no need to jump on input. A
    (possibly) related effect can be seen if you scroll across very long lines
    (I saw this when viewing an e-mail with a somewhat large number of
    recipients.) You might still consider it a bug, but I'm afraid the fix won't
    really be straightforward and you might end up half way towards cursor
    addressing.

    Rio and sam show the same behaviour, by the way.

    Regards,
    Martin

  3. Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win

    > To me it looks more like a consequence of Plan 9's treatment of files as
    > sequences of bytes/chars/runes rather then sequences of lines as is common
    > in Unix. Basically, you can't scroll beyond the end of the file, and if the

    unix and plan 9 agree: a file is an ordered sequence of bytes. unix
    read/write/seek are measured in the same units as plan 9
    pread/pwrite/seek: bytes.

    but i think you may be talking about vi. but even here,
    the problem only happens on the first line. i think it's just
    a garden variety bug. no philosophy need apply.

    > Rio and sam show the same behaviour, by the way.

    indicating exactly where to look. (libframe.)

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] invisible prompt in win

    On Oct 5, 2008, at 9:52 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > indicating exactly where to look. (libframe.)

    I don't think so, as libframe doesn't provide a scroll function. Maybe
    (rio sam acme) use a common scroll function? I'll look into it.

+ Reply to Thread