[9fans] rio startup fails in VMWare Fusion 2.0.0 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] rio startup fails in VMWare Fusion 2.0.0 - Plan9 ; ....so I thought I'd upgrade to the latest and greatest Fusion release, but things are even worse. If I boot from the iso, and select option '2' for the livecd option and taking the defaults of ps2 mouse, 640x480x8 resolution ...

  1. [9fans] rio startup fails in VMWare Fusion 2.0.0

    ....so I thought I'd upgrade to the latest and greatest Fusion release,
    but things are even worse.

    If I boot from the iso, and select option '2' for the livecd option
    and taking the defaults of ps2 mouse, 640x480x8 resolution and xga
    monitor, I get the following error messages:

    aux/vga: vgactlw: : unknown vmware id 0740
    rio: can't open display: initdisplay /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer
    init: rc exit status: rio 9: display open

    And then the boot sequence starts /bin/rc, and I get a 'term%' prompt.

    Is this also related to bit rotted vmware drivers?

    Cheers,
    Gary
    --
    Email me: gary@gnu.org ._(()
    Read my blog: http://blog.azazil.net \' )

  2. Re: [9fans] rio startup fails in VMWare Fusion 2.0.0

    try "vesa" for monitor and play with different resolutions
    "aux/vga -m vesa -p" should give you some info.

    On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
    > ...so I thought I'd upgrade to the latest and greatest Fusion release, but
    > things are even worse.
    >
    > If I boot from the iso, and select option '2' for the livecd option and
    > taking the defaults of ps2 mouse, 640x480x8 resolution and xga monitor, I
    > get the following error messages:
    >
    > aux/vga: vgactlw: : unknown vmware id 0740
    > rio: can't open display: initdisplay /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer
    > init: rc exit status: rio 9: display open
    >
    > And then the boot sequence starts /bin/rc, and I get a 'term%' prompt.
    >
    > Is this also related to bit rotted vmware drivers?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary
    > --
    > Email me: gary@gnu.org ._(()
    > Read my blog: http://blog.azazil.net \' )
    > And my other blog: http://www.machaxor.net =( \
    > ...and my book: http://sources.redhat.com/autobook _(~_)'

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  3. Re: [9fans] rio startup fails in VMWare Fusion 2.0.0

    Hi Frederico,

    Thanks for the response!

    On 24 Sep 2008, at 02:03, Federico G. Benavento wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
    >> ...so I thought I'd upgrade to the latest and greatest Fusion
    >> release, but
    >> things are even worse.
    >>
    >> If I boot from the iso, and select option '2' for the livecd option
    >> and
    >> taking the defaults of ps2 mouse, 640x480x8 resolution and xga
    >> monitor, I
    >> get the following error messages:
    >>
    >> aux/vga: vgactlw: : unknown vmware id 0740
    >> rio: can't open display: initdisplay /dev/draw/new: no frame buffer
    >> init: rc exit status: rio 9: display open
    >>
    >> And then the boot sequence starts /bin/rc, and I get a 'term%'
    >> prompt.
    >>
    >> Is this also related to bit rotted vmware drivers?

    > try "vesa" for monitor and play with different resolutions
    > "aux/vga -m vesa -p" should give you some info.

    Using "vesa" for monitor along with all of the resolutions I tried
    actually
    hangs (i.e. I don't even get a text-mode term% prompt), as does "aux/
    vga -m vesa -p"
    if I type it at the text mode prompt.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    --
    Email me: gary@gnu.org ._(()
    Read my blog: http://blog.azazil.net \' )
    And my other blog: http://www.machaxor.net =( \
    ....and my book: http://sources.redhat.com/autobook _(~_)'

  4. Re: [9fans] rio startup fails in VMWare Fusion 2.0.0

    > Using "vesa" for monitor along with all of the resolutions I tried
    > actually
    > hangs (i.e. I don't even get a text-mode term% prompt), as does "aux/
    > vga -m vesa -p"
    > if I type it at the text mode prompt.

    ah! vmware seems to be doing a much
    better job these days of emulating real