[9fans] Teleporting Mouse in VMWare Fusion 1.1.3 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Teleporting Mouse in VMWare Fusion 1.1.3 - Plan9 ; I've been trying to install the plan9.iso into VMWare Fusion on my mac. I see from the list archives that other people have been experiencing the odd mouse pointer teleportation issue I've been suffering. Does anyone know what is causing ...

  1. [9fans] Teleporting Mouse in VMWare Fusion 1.1.3

    I've been trying to install the plan9.iso into VMWare Fusion on my
    mac. I see from the list archives that other people have been
    experiencing the odd mouse pointer teleportation issue I've been
    suffering. Does anyone know what is causing this, or how to fix it?

    I suspect the vmware drivers in plan9 have bit rotted slightly. If
    it's too much work to fix them, is there any way to at least turn off
    explicit vmware drivers in plan9 and see whether I'm right?

    Cheers,
    Gary
    --
    Email me: gary@gnu.org ._(()
    Read my blog: http://blog.azazil.net \' )

  2. Re: [9fans] Teleporting Mouse in VMWare Fusion 1.1.3

    if you moved the mouse during rio startup you may cause rio to be out
    of sync with the values from the mouse driver. there is a reset
    command in the driver which causes this behaviour to stop. if you have
    a window open "echo reset > /dev/mousectl" sometimes helps. rebooting
    and keeping the hands off the mouse while rio is booting should make
    it work (fingers crossed

    On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
    > I've been trying to install the plan9.iso into VMWare Fusion on my mac. I
    > see from the list archives that other people have been experiencing the odd
    > mouse pointer teleportation issue I've been suffering. Does anyone know
    > what is causing this, or how to fix it?
    >
    > I suspect the vmware drivers in plan9 have bit rotted slightly. If it's too
    > much work to fix them, is there any way to at least turn off explicit vmware
    > drivers in plan9 and see whether I'm right?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary
    > --
    > Email me: gary@gnu.org ._(()
    > Read my blog: http://blog.azazil.net \' )
    > And my other blog: http://www.machaxor.net =( \
    > ...and my book: http://sources.redhat.com/autobook _(~_)'

  3. Re: [9fans] Teleporting Mouse in VMWare Fusion 1.1.3

    Hi Andrey,

    Thanks for the response!

    On 24 Sep 2008, at 00:09, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
    >> I've been trying to install the plan9.iso into VMWare Fusion on my
    >> mac. I
    >> see from the list archives that other people have been experiencing
    >> the odd
    >> mouse pointer teleportation issue I've been suffering. Does anyone
    >> know
    >> what is causing this, or how to fix it?
    >>
    >> I suspect the vmware drivers in plan9 have bit rotted slightly. If
    >> it's too
    >> much work to fix them, is there any way to at least turn off
    >> explicit vmware
    >> drivers in plan9 and see whether I'm right?

    > if you moved the mouse during rio startup you may cause rio to be out
    > of sync with the values from the mouse driver. there is a reset
    > command in the driver which causes this behaviour to stop. if you have
    > a window open "echo reset > /dev/mousectl" sometimes helps. rebooting
    > and keeping the hands off the mouse while rio is booting should make
    > it work (fingers crossed

    I'm pretty sure I didn't move the mouse during boot, but I'll definitely
    give the /dev/mousectl reset a try.

    Unfortunately, vmware gets a bit antsy if you try to run multiple
    versions
    without rebooting inbetween, and I have some processes running that I
    can't
    stop tonight. I'll report back on whether a careful 'hands-off-mouse'
    rio
    boot prevents the problem tomorrow.

    Cheers,
    Gary