[9fans] Init hangs - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Init hangs - Plan9 ; Hi 9fans! I downloaded the ISO image dated 18 Sep 2008. The live CD worked beautifully, so I decided to install under VMWare Workstation 6. Well done to the guys who did the new(ish?) installer, IMHO it's a big improvement ...

  1. [9fans] Init hangs

    Hi 9fans!

    I downloaded the ISO image dated 18 Sep 2008. The live CD worked beautifully,
    so I decided to install under VMWare Workstation 6. Well done to the guys who
    did the new(ish?) installer, IMHO it's a big improvement over the old one.

    Anyway, after installing and rebooting, the kernel gets as far as running
    init, which prints out

    init: starting /bin/rc

    and then hangs. I've taken a look at /sys/src/cmd/init.c and found that
    this line gets printed from the following code near the bottom of main:

    for(;{
    print("\ninit: starting /bin/rc\n");
    fexec(rcexec);
    manual = 1;
    cmd = 0;
    sleep(1000);
    }

    What could have gone wrong? If exec had failed, an error message would have
    been printed. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps /bin/rc is an
    invalid image.

    Is there a core dump file I can examine to find out what's going wrong? I'm
    a noob, so please, put away the lighter and help me out

    TIA,
    Ralph

  2. Re: [9fans] Init hangs

    Hi!

    I am not sure, and my reply can be stupid ...

    Try to disconect the CD-Rom in vmware, and boot plan9

    slds.

    --
    Rodolfo García AKA kix
    http://www.kix.es/

  3. Re: [9fans] Init hangs

    >> What could have gone wrong? If exec had failed, an error message would
    >> have
    >> been printed. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps /bin/rc is an
    >> invalid image.
    >>
    >> Is there a core dump file I can examine to find out what's going wrong?
    >> I'm
    >> a noob, so please, put away the lighter and help me out

    a command in cpurc or termrc is not completing.

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] Init hangs

    erik quanstrom quanstro.net> writes:

    > >> What could have gone wrong? If exec had failed, an error message would
    > >> have
    > >> been printed. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps /bin/rc is an
    > >> invalid image.
    > >>
    > >> Is there a core dump file I can examine to find out what's going wrong?
    > >> I'm
    > >> a noob, so please, put away the lighter and help me out

    > a command in cpurc or termrc is not completing.

    Thanks Eric. Now I need to try to find the errant code, but I can't connect a
    debugger at this point. What else can I do to diagnose the problem?

    --
    Ralph

  5. Re: [9fans] Init hangs

    On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 13:46 +0200, Rodolfo kix GarcÃ*a wrote:
    > Try to disconect the CD-Rom in vmware, and boot plan9

    That was my thought too.

    While on the subject, anybody tried to install on a Free ESXi server?
    My attempts fall apart as early as 9load. The IDE line is printed, then
    nothing happens.
    --
    Lucio De Re (Off site)
    Ph: +27 83 251 5824

  6. Re: [9fans] Init hangs

    Rodolfo kix GarcÃ*a kix.es> writes:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I am not sure, and my reply can be stupid ...
    >
    > Try to disconect the CD-Rom in vmware, and boot plan9

    Hi Rodolfo,

    I tried this but init still hangs...

    I'd like to try Eric's patch, but I need a little hand-holding. What are the
    steps to mount my fossil partition, apply the patch, compile and install?

    TAL,
    Ralph

  7. Re: Init hangs

    On Sep 23, 7:38*am, ralmor...@gmail.com (Ralph Moritz) wrote:
    > Rodolfo kix García * kix.es> writes:
    >
    > > Hi!

    > > I am not sure, and my reply can be stupid ...

    > > Try to disconect the CD-Rom in vmware, and bootplan9

    > Hi Rodolfo,
    >
    > I tried this but init still hangs...
    >
    > I'd like to try Eric's patch, but I need a little hand-holding. What are the
    > steps to mount my fossil partition, apply the patch, compile and install?
    >
    > TAL,
    > Ralph

    Hello all,

    I left a hung install shut off in VMWare Server for 1 week and came
    back to it and it booted up. I am in the process of trying to repeat
    this finding. But, my thoughts are that it has something to do with
    file timestamps. Could that possibly ring a bell for anyone? I was
    also led to thinking it had something to do with the xga startup. I
    was thinking that after installation and reboot, if I boot from CD and
    remount the fossil partition then I could see what else in the boot
    sequence could be occurring. .... or, I'll just shut up and wait to
    hear what you guys figure out....

    Roderick

+ Reply to Thread