[9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet - Plan9 ; Is anyone currently successfully using a pcmcia ethernet card? The last time I tried to do this, I came to the conclusion that I would need to sacrifice a chicken to get it to work, and I ended up moving ...

  1. [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet

    Is anyone currently successfully using a pcmcia
    ethernet card? The last time I tried to do this,
    I came to the conclusion that I would need to
    sacrifice a chicken to get it to work, and I
    ended up moving on to something else. But I'm
    back to trying this. I've tried with several
    versions of the 3c589 and an old linksys. On
    all these, aux/pcmcia reports the right thing,
    but trying to bind #l reports no free devices.
    Is there some magic incantation to make it
    work. It doesn't seem to matter whether I
    put an entry in plan9.ini. Ultimately, I want
    to get a 3c575 working, but neither of the ones
    I have lying around are recognized by aux/pcmcia,
    so I figured it'd be better to start with something
    a little more boring.

    Of course, if someone has a hidden broadcom
    driver lying around, that would obviate the
    need for the pcmcia card...:-)

    Thanks,
    BLS

  2. Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet

    I am using a 3c589 and remember having the same symptoms at first. Jmk then
    gave me the hint to try the other slot which amazingly did the trick. I then
    didn't investigate that further. Incidentally, I'm also having a 572 lying
    around I'm hoping to get running someday. As far as I remember, those are
    pretty close to the 574/575 bunch driver-wise. Just not supported on Plan 9.

    While somewhat unspecific, I hope that helps somewhat,
    Martin

    * Brian L. Stuart (blstuart@bellsouth.net) wrote:
    > Is anyone currently successfully using a pcmcia
    > ethernet card? The last time I tried to do this,
    > I came to the conclusion that I would need to
    > sacrifice a chicken to get it to work, and I
    > ended up moving on to something else. But I'm
    > back to trying this. I've tried with several
    > versions of the 3c589 and an old linksys. On
    > all these, aux/pcmcia reports the right thing,
    > but trying to bind #l reports no free devices.
    > Is there some magic incantation to make it
    > work. It doesn't seem to matter whether I
    > put an entry in plan9.ini. Ultimately, I want
    > to get a 3c575 working, but neither of the ones
    > I have lying around are recognized by aux/pcmcia,
    > so I figured it'd be better to start with something
    > a little more boring.
    >
    > Of course, if someone has a hidden broadcom
    > driver lying around, that would obviate the
    > need for the pcmcia card...:-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > BLS

  3. Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet

    > I am using a 3c589 and remember having the same symptoms at first. Jmk then
    > gave me the hint to try the other slot which amazingly did the trick. I then
    > didn't investigate that further. Incidentally, I'm also having a 572 lying
    > around I'm hoping to get running someday. As far as I remember, those are
    > pretty close to the 574/575 bunch driver-wise. Just not supported on Plan 9.
    >
    > While somewhat unspecific, I hope that helps somewhat,

    Interesting. This particular machine only has 1 slot, but this
    does suggest where to start looking in the code. If I do get
    this sorted out, then I'll see if I can take a crack at the 575
    and similar cards.

    Thanks,
    BLS

  4. Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet

    > Of course, if someone has a hidden broadcom driver lying around, that
    > would obviate the need for the pcmcia card...:-)

    There's is some code laying around for Broadcom 570x cards:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c.../mirror/bc.tgz

    I've been trying to get that working on a computer of mine that has a
    BCM5751 card but so far I don't have it working.

  5. Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet

    I was using a 3c589 until a few years ago, then I moved to
    a Netgear FA411 which is somwhat more mechanically robust -
    I broke the plug on the 3com card :-(

    -Steve

  6. Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet

    > There's is some code laying around for Broadcom 570x cards:
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c.../mirror/bc.tgz

    I'll take a look at it. I seem to recall some discussion of
    it and that it was in a pretty incomplete state. If I'm
    remembering correctly, I'm thinking my chances might be
    better with the PCMCIA route first.

    BLS

  7. Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Ethernet

    > I was using a 3c589 until a few years ago, then I moved to
    > a Netgear FA411 which is somwhat more mechanically robust -
    > I broke the plug on the 3com card :-(

    It sounds like for a number of people it's working just
    fine, and no one's put forward any real magic to make
    it work, except for using the other slot on some machines.
    So that brings up the question, why is it working on
    some machines, and some slots, and not others. To
    me that seems to point to the PCMCIA code, but then
    aux/pcmcia picks it up. I expect I'll try to move
    forward by adding some debug output to try and trace
    what's happening and what's not. But if anyone
    has any great PCMCIA wisdom, feel free to speak
    up :-) Along those lines, if a CardBus controller
    is not recognized by devpccard, should I expect
    dev82365 to handle it correctly?

    And I too have had trouble with the connectors on
    the 3com cards. This one will end up in a rack,
    so I figure it's a good place for a pigtail that
    can't take too much stress.

    Thanks,
    BLS

+ Reply to Thread