[9fans] cin is in - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] cin is in - Plan9 ; I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program. It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program. Lotsa cool stuff. http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?i...GUIDE&dl=GUIDE brucee...

  1. [9fans] cin is in

    I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.

    It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
    Lotsa cool stuff.

    http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?i...GUIDE&dl=GUIDE

    brucee

  2. Re: [9fans] cin is in

    On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    > I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.
    >
    > It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
    > Lotsa cool stuff.
    >
    > http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?i...GUIDE&dl=GUIDE

    I couldn't find the source to CIN but I did find cint.

    http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT

    It complied and ran on my mac no problem. My examination of it was
    cursory though.

    Ian

  3. Re: [9fans] cin is in

    On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Michaelian Ennis
    wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    >> I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.
    >>
    >> It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
    >> Lotsa cool stuff.
    >>
    >> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?i...GUIDE&dl=GUIDE

    > I couldn't find the source to CIN but I did find cint.
    >
    > http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT
    >
    > It complied and ran on my mac no problem. My examination of it was
    > cursory though.

    I used CINT only together with ROOT and personally felt using C++ as a
    interpreted language a little weird; no technical remarks here, only
    personal ones, tho.

    Anyway, as far as I could tell, people I know who work with ROOT on a
    more daily basis write the programs as usually they do with C++ the
    only difference being that they aren't compiled. They don't seem to
    use the interpreter as much as programmers from other languages
    considered as interpreted do.

    iru

  4. Re: [9fans] cin is in

    CINT has nothing to do with cin. There is a good paper on cin in the
    9th Edition docs.

    It went on to become vice, which has an X interface, or samuel, which
    has a sam interface.

    CINT looks pretty sucky.

    brucee

    On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Michaelian Ennis
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    >>> I don't know how you get the source but it is a cool program.
    >>>
    >>> It can simulate itself simulating itself simulating another program.
    >>> Lotsa cool stuff.
    >>>
    >>> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?i...GUIDE&dl=GUIDE

    >> I couldn't find the source to CIN but I did find cint.
    >>
    >> http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT
    >>
    >> It complied and ran on my mac no problem. My examination of it was
    >> cursory though.
    >>

    > I used CINT only together with ROOT and personally felt using C++ as a
    > interpreted language a little weird; no technical remarks here, only
    > personal ones, tho.
    >
    > Anyway, as far as I could tell, people I know who work with ROOT on a
    > more daily basis write the programs as usually they do with C++ the
    > only difference being that they aren't compiled. They don't seem to
    > use the interpreter as much as programmers from other languages
    > considered as interpreted do.
    >
    > iru

  5. Re: [9fans] cin is in

    On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    > CINT has nothing to do with cin. There is a good paper on cin in the
    > 9th Edition docs.
    >
    > It went on to become vice, which has an X interface, or samuel, which
    > has a sam interface.
    >
    > CINT looks pretty sucky.

    your eyes are still precise, bruce. it sucks for sure.

    iru

+ Reply to Thread