Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia - Plan9 ; Neither "purposeful omission" nor "amnesia." Rather pragmatism. Nachos, ReactOS, QNX, and many others are left unmentioned, too. From these QNX has been _really_ successful in the real world and it's fully POSIX. MOS is a book for teaching the natural ...

  1. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    Neither "purposeful omission" nor "amnesia." Rather pragmatism. Nachos,
    ReactOS, QNX, and many others are left unmentioned, too. From these QNX has
    been _really_ successful in the real world and it's fully POSIX. MOS is a
    book for teaching the natural way to students not the (fruitless) deviation
    to "hackers." Plan 9 is _for now_ a marginal player.

    Just a look at how Anant Narayanan promoted his talk explains it all (and
    he's a student of Tanenbaum's department):

    "Plan 9 from Bell Labs is a radically new approach to operating and
    distributed systems. Unencumbered by requirements such as ANSI or POSIX
    compliance, the authors were able to take full advantage of modern
    technology made available to us since UNIX was first conceived."

    -- http://foss.in/2007/register/speaker...php?talkid=388

    "Radically new?" "Unencumbered?" "Full advantage?" "Modern technology?"
    Puh-lease! Microsoft had/has the largest installed base of operating
    systems and the latest "technology access" and they didn't dare utter that.
    Imagine this at some Microsoft developer convention: "we present here the
    new version of Windows, completely 'unencumbered' by POSIX."

    P.S. This was just some useless whining. A little spark. Let it die on its
    own... there'll be no flames.

    --On Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:52 PM -0700 Skip Tavakkolian
    <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

    > i was flipping through tanenbaum's "modern operating systems - 3e"
    > (2008) and couldn't find any mention of plan9, inferno or 9p. how
    > modern is that!?

  2. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    On Sep 12, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Eris Discordia wrote:

    > completely 'unencumbered' by POSIX."

    s/completely/almost &/

    Pietro

  3. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    > s/completely/almost &/

    Please don't try to educate me P. G. Microsoft got themselves into lots of
    trouble to make NT almost POSIX compliant and to also create a fully POSIX
    compliant subsystem (SFU/SUA/Interix). Everybody knows that. The sentence
    you quoted was a hypothetical, you know, a _hypothetical_. Seeing how
    "terrific" the hypothetical sounds one gets to shudder at the sound of
    Anant Narayanan's actual "promotion" of Plan 9.

    --On Friday, September 12, 2008 2:47 PM -0400 Pietro Gagliardi
    wrote:

    > On Sep 12, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Eris Discordia wrote:
    >
    >> completely 'unencumbered' by POSIX."

    > s/completely/almost &/
    >
    > Pietro

  4. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    >> s/completely/almost &/
    >
    > Please don't try to educate me

    This is a mailing list, not your private forum. I'd like to repeat
    the call to suspend anonymous posters.

    ++L

  5. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    Yea, fascism and censure will solve the problem! God forbid we stop
    feeding the trolls!

    Peace

    uriel

    On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 6:53 AM, wrote:
    >>> s/completely/almost &/

    >> Please don't try to educate me

    > This is a mailing list, not your private forum. I'd like to repeat
    > the call to suspend anonymous posters.
    >
    > ++L

  6. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM, wrote:
    > This is a mailing list, not your private forum. I'd like to repeat
    > the call to suspend anonymous posters.

    What exactly is an "anonymous poster"?
    -sqweek

  7. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM, sqweek wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM, wrote:
    >> This is a mailing list, not your private forum. I'd like to repeat
    >> the call to suspend anonymous posters.

    > What exactly is an "anonymous poster"?
    > -sqweek

    You should all get banned!1!11!

  8. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    > What exactly is an "anonymous poster"?

    Good question. I'll back down, let's encourage purely confrontational
    postings. Cheers!

    ++L

+ Reply to Thread