[9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia - Plan9 ; i was flipping through tanenbaum's "modern operating systems - 3e" (2008) and couldn't find any mention of plan9, inferno or 9p. how modern is that!?...

  1. [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    i was flipping through tanenbaum's "modern operating systems - 3e"
    (2008) and couldn't find any mention of plan9, inferno or 9p. how
    modern is that!?

  2. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
    > i was flipping through tanenbaum's "modern operating systems - 3e"
    > (2008) and couldn't find any mention of plan9, inferno or 9p. how
    > modern is that!?

    I had an older edition and I don't remember seeing any references in
    that. Were they ever there?

    --
    Tom Lieber
    http://AllTom.com/

  3. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    > i was flipping through tanenbaum's "modern operating systems - 3e"
    > (2008) and couldn't find any mention of plan9, inferno or 9p. how
    > modern is that!?

    They're in my book.

  4. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    > i was flipping through tanenbaum's "modern operating systems - 3e"
    > (2008) and couldn't find any mention of plan9, inferno or 9p. how
    > modern is that!?

    that depends on one's definition of "modern". i believe the plan 9 guys
    and tanenbaum had a difference of opinion. cf.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8d4a31d5c1aac7

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    I thought that Plan 9 was mentioned in "modern operating systems",
    I read it in 2002, but maybe was in the distributed systems one

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  6. Re: [9fans] purposeful omission or amnesia

    "Operating Systems Design and Implementation, 3rd Edition" doesn't mention
    it, but it's the MINIX (ah, MINIX 3) book anyway. "Modern Operating
    Systems, 2nd Edition" contains not even a reference. "Computer Networks,
    4th Edition" doesn't mention 9P at all--RPC's there, though.

    Cool!

    --On Friday, September 12, 2008 11:25 AM -0300 "Federico G. Benavento"
    wrote:

    > I thought that Plan 9 was mentioned in "modern operating systems",
    > I read it in 2002, but maybe was in the distributed systems one
    >
    > On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com>
    > wrote:
    >> i was flipping through tanenbaum's "modern operating systems - 3e"
    >> (2008) and couldn't find any mention of plan9, inferno or 9p. how
    >> modern is that!?
    >>

    > --
    > Federico G. Benavento

+ Reply to Thread