[9fans] Acme questions - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Acme questions - Plan9 ; Hi: I've been using Acme for a while and I really like it. I am using it on a daily basis and now it is my official text editor and user interface on linux and freebsd. There are three issues ...

  1. [9fans] Acme questions

    Hi:
    I've been using Acme for a while and I really like it. I am using it
    on a daily basis and now it is my official text editor and user
    interface on linux and freebsd.
    There are three issues that I want to discuss (really meaning suggest):

    1. Is it possible to hide an entire column? I think it is not and I
    have not read anything mentioning something similar. I think this
    would be great, since it would allow me (and maybe other share this
    opinion with me) to organize my work more easily. For example, lets
    imagine that I am doing some C programming and testing using two
    columns (which hold the C source and some window running rc). Then I
    need to start writing a presentation or whatever using latex, so I
    have to edit my latex files and compile them again and again, probably
    using another window with rc on it. IMHO if you could temporary hide
    the two previous columns (related to my C work), like you can do with
    single windows, would help a lot.

    2. Is it possible to view images inside Acme's windows? IMHO, this
    would certainly be a neat feature for Acme. I really don't know if it
    is to hard to implement this feature or if even is something that at
    least some people would like to see.

    3. When you click on a given word on a file being edited, using your
    3th button, you can search for occurrences of this word in this file.
    Is there anyway to do the same backwards?

    Please be aware that I am just expressing my personal views and by no
    means I intend to start a flame on this.

    --
    Saludos

    Hugo

  2. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    On Wed Sep 10 11:15:35 EDT 2008, uair00@gmail.com wrote:
    > 2. Is it possible to view images inside Acme's windows? IMHO, this
    > would certainly be a neat feature for Acme. I really don't know if it
    > is to hard to implement this feature or if even is something that at
    > least some people would like to see.

    no. and you're right, it would be a great feature but it would take
    quite a bit of rethinking.

    > 3. When you click on a given word on a file being edited, using your
    > 3th button, you can search for occurrences of this word in this file.
    > Is there anyway to do the same backwards?

    not in the same way. you want to b3 ":-/text/" (no quotes)
    in the tag. i'm sure there are other ways to do this.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    2008/9/10 erik quanstrom :
    > no. and you're right, it would be a great feature but it would take
    > quite a bit of rethinking.

    Sorry to hear that.

    > not in the same way. you want to b3 ":-/text/" (no quotes)
    > in the tag. i'm sure there are other ways to do this.

    Great, thanks.

  4. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:04 AM, hugo rivera wrote:

    > 1. Is it possible to hide an entire column? I think it is not and I
    > have not read anything mentioning something similar. I think this
    > would be great, since it would allow me (and maybe other share this
    > opinion with me) to organize my work more easily.

    I think double-clicking on the box to the left of the column
    information line thingy should do it.

  5. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > I think double-clicking on the box to the left of the column information
    > line thingy should do it.

    erm. you really could have tried this first.
    it doesn't take much, you know.

    for the record, i once had a go at implementing a "hide" command within acme,
    but i never got it stable enough to make available. it would be nice if more of
    the invariants in the acme code were documented.

    what i was really aiming towards was a way to allow acme to take
    up multiple rio windows - the idea would be to allow dragging of acme
    windows (or columns) between the acme rio windows. that way i could
    edit a load of related files in a single rio window but avoid cluttering things
    up when i want to digress into another project for a while (but also avoid
    the risk of simul-editing a file that you get when starting two acmes at the
    same time).

    it could also make the X command more useful than it currently is.
    in sam, the X command is great because you can edit many
    related files at the same time without necessarily cluttering
    the screen with them, but in acme it's a bit of a pain to do a global
    edit across (say) 100 source files. it's for this sort of thing i end
    up firing up sam -d, but it's so easy to waste time with files that i'm
    already editing, etc.

    at the acme data structure level, i reckoned it shouldn't be too hard - there
    are multiple Windows per Column, multiple Columns per Row, but there's
    only one Row. if there were multiple rio windows, each would be represented by
    a Row, but so far i've always got bogged down in the implementation details,
    time restrictions and my own brain limitations...

  6. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    2008/9/10 Pietro Gagliardi :
    > On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:04 AM, hugo rivera wrote:
    > I think double-clicking on the box to the left of the column information
    > line thingy should do it.

    You mean the small purple box left of the column tag? probably I am
    doing something wrong, but when I double click it with any mouse
    button nothing happens. The best I can do is to click it then drag,
    and then leave a very small column, that is still using some space
    that I could use....

  7. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:23 PM, hugo rivera wrote:
    > 2008/9/10 Pietro Gagliardi :
    >> I think double-clicking on the box to the left of the column information
    >> line thingy should do it.

    > You mean the small purple box left of the column tag? probably I am
    > doing something wrong, but when I double click it with any mouse
    > button nothing happens.

    I think Pietro was making a suggestion, rather than explaining the
    current state of affairs.
    -sqweek

  8. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, sqweek wrote:
    > I think Pietro was making a suggestion, rather than explaining the
    > current state of affairs.
    > -sqweek

    i think your doubts benefit more than mine do.

  9. Re: [9fans] Acme questions

    2008/9/11 sqweek :
    > I think Pietro was making a suggestion, rather than explaining the
    > current state of affairs.

    Oops.
    Well, I think is a good suggestion.
    :-)