[9fans] fortune in login window - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] fortune in login window - Plan9 ; Hello people, I have file $home/bin/rc/riostart , which starts my favorite programs after my login to terminal. I would like to have in my initial rc window printed a message from fortune, something like this: +-------------------------------------- | Don't worry, be ...

  1. [9fans] fortune in login window

    +--------------------------------------
    | Don't worry, be happy!
    |
    | term$ _

    I am not successful with it. Does anybody know, how to make it?

    Antonin

  2. Re: [9fans] fortune in login window

    The startup script is envoked by your profile ($home/lib/profile)
    where it starts rio (I call mine startup, you seem to call yours
    riostartup, its personal choice really)

    here is the relevant line in mine:

    exec rio -s -i startup

    and here is my $home/bin/rc/startup

    #!/bin/rc

    auth/fgui &
    if(~ $service terminal)
    window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei $sysname $cpu
    if not
    window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei

    window -r 201 0 845 120 faces -i
    window -r 1159 0 1279 120 clock
    window -r 95 212 921 734 logwin

    The last line above starts logwin which is a seperate script which
    opens my first terminal window and runs fortune etc in it, here is
    $home/bin/rc/logwin

    #!/bin/rc

    fortune
    calendar -y
    news
    echo

    exec rc -i

    -Steve

  3. Re: [9fans] fortune in login window

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Steve Simon wrote:
    > The startup script is envoked by your profile ($home/lib/profile)
    > where it starts rio (I call mine startup, you seem to call yours
    > riostartup, its personal choice really)
    >
    > here is the relevant line in mine:
    >
    > exec rio -s -i startup
    >
    > and here is my $home/bin/rc/startup
    >
    > #!/bin/rc
    >
    > auth/fgui &
    > if(~ $service terminal)
    > window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei $sysname $cpu
    > if not
    > window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei
    >
    > window -r 201 0 845 120 faces -i
    > window -r 1159 0 1279 120 clock
    > window -r 95 212 921 734 logwin
    >
    > The last line above starts logwin which is a seperate script which
    > opens my first terminal window and runs fortune etc in it, here is
    > $home/bin/rc/logwin
    >
    > #!/bin/rc
    >
    > fortune
    > calendar -y