Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V? - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V? - Plan9 ; On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Eris Discordia wrote: > It will eventually install but won't get past a specific step after the > installed system is booted. I asked about the problem on 9fans. No > solutions... ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    wrote:
    > It will eventually install but won't get past a specific step after the
    > installed system is booted. I asked about the problem on 9fans. No
    > solutions... yet.
    >
    > Here's the thread: http://9fans.net/archive/2008/01/547

    With the iso I downloaded this week, I also get the issue that Eris points out.

    Eris, if you want to give last years iso a try (20070329, it works
    perfectly on MS Virtual Server R2 SP1), give me a shout and I'll put
    it somewhere you can download it.

    Robby

  2. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    > Eris, if you want to give last years iso a try (20070329, it works
    > perfectly on MS Virtual Server R2 SP1), give me a shout and I'll put
    > it somewhere you can download it.

    Many thanks for the offer, but I just don't have access to the required
    bandwidth. I had downloaded the first ISO image at a facility with a
    broadband connection. That luxury is currently out of question for me.
    Anyhow, I had gotten Plan 9 running on QEMU until I gave up and just purged
    the whole thing.

    Microsoft Virtual PC has so far been fine for running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE,
    NetBSD v3.0.1, SuSE Linux v9 and v10, Slackware Linux v10.1, PC-DOS 5.0,
    and MS-DOS 6.22. So I guess Plan 9 is expecting something out of the
    ordinary, or simply being too pedantic.

    --On Friday, August 29, 2008 9:21 AM +0100 Robert Raschke
    wrote:

    > On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Eris Discordia
    > wrote:
    >> It will eventually install but won't get past a specific step after the
    >> installed system is booted. I asked about the problem on 9fans. No
    >> solutions... yet.
    >>
    >> Here's the thread: http://9fans.net/archive/2008/01/547

    > With the iso I downloaded this week, I also get the issue that Eris
    > points out.
    >
    > Eris, if you want to give last years iso a try (20070329, it works
    > perfectly on MS Virtual Server R2 SP1), give me a shout and I'll put
    > it somewhere you can download it.
    >
    > Robby

  3. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Eris Discordia wrote:

    > Eris, if you want to give last years iso a try (20070329, it works
    >> perfectly on MS Virtual Server R2 SP1), give me a shout and I'll put
    >> it somewhere you can download it.
    >>

    > Many thanks for the offer, but I just don't have access to the required
    > bandwidth. I had downloaded the first ISO image at a facility with a
    > broadband connection. That luxury is currently out of question for me.
    > Anyhow, I had gotten Plan 9 running on QEMU until I gave up and just purged
    > the whole thing.
    >
    > Microsoft Virtual PC has so far been fine for running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE,
    > NetBSD v3.0.1, SuSE Linux v9 and v10, Slackware Linux v10.1, PC-DOS 5.0, and
    > MS-DOS 6.22. So I guess Plan 9 is expecting something out of the ordinary,
    > or simply being too pedantic.

    That's one way to look at it, or you can just realize that
    emulators/virtualization *aren't* the same as real hardware.

    Real PC hardware is a pain to emulate, because it's not rigidly specified
    enough. As a result of this, we know people bother to test things like
    Virtual PC running FreeBSD and Linux as well as DOS, and then complain to
    Microsoft when it doesn't work. Since more of their customers have a use
    for DOS or FreeBSD or Linux, Microsoft is probably more inclined to fix
    their Virtualization for them.

    I'm afraid Plan 9 doesn't have a market share that's interesting to these
    companies to fix their virtualization so that all OSes work. Better is the
    enemy of good enough after all, and who cares if some obscure OS doesn't
    work on their virtualization platform. All they have to do is make the ones
    people are more likely to pay support to use work.

    So while I tend to agree with you that it will likely fall on the Plan 9
    community to make this work with Virtual PC, if we choose to care to do so,
    I wouldn't say it's because Plan 9 is expecting anything out of the ordinary
    (It works on my PC, the virtualization is the non-ordinary piece). It might
    be true that it's being too pedantic for that virtualization package....
    It's not a matter of blame though, the two pieces just aren't compatible.

    Dave

    > --On Friday, August 29, 2008 9:21 AM +0100 Robert Raschke <
    > rtrlists@googlemail.com> wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Eris Discordia
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It will eventually install but won't get past a specific step after the
    >>> installed system is booted. I asked about the problem on 9fans. No
    >>> solutions... yet.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the thread: http://9fans.net/archive/2008/01/547
    >>>

    >> With the iso I downloaded this week, I also get the issue that Eris
    >> points out.
    >>
    >> Eris, if you want to give last years iso a try (20070329, it works
    >> perfectly on MS Virtual Server R2 SP1), give me a shout and I'll put
    >> it somewhere you can download it.
    >>
    >> Robby

+ Reply to Thread