[9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V? - Plan9 ; I couldnt got Plan9 to natively run on my machine, so i thought it'd be a nice 2-in-1 learning experience to get it working under Hyper-V. Since i wouldnt like the one thing i learn to be: this cant be ...

  1. [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    I couldnt got Plan9 to natively run on my machine, so i thought it'd be
    a nice 2-in-1 learning experience to get it working under Hyper-V.
    Since i wouldnt like the one thing i learn to be: this cant be done, id
    like to ask if anyone had succes getting it run with MS virtualization?

    Sandor Nagy

  2. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:02, bituman wrote:
    > I couldnt got Plan9 to natively run on my machine, so i thought it'd be a
    > nice 2-in-1 learning experience to get it working under Hyper-V.
    > Since i wouldnt like the one thing i learn to be: this cant be done, id like
    > to ask if anyone had succes getting it run with MS virtualization?
    >
    > Sandor Nagy

    If the Xen 3.x port is in any shape, it would be a good starting point
    for running it under Hyper-V, as it was advertised to support Xen
    guests. Also there might be some way to make it emulate a full
    machine, but I don't know about that. It certainly would be an
    interesting solution for getting Plan 9 into Business - Windows 2008
    seems to be fairly well integrated with Hyper-V.

    --
    PaweĊ‚ Lasek

  3. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    I have no idea about Hyper-V, however plan9 does run
    under qemu and under vmware on windows. Also a windows
    9vx implementation is in progress.

    -Steve

  4. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    I tried running Plan 9 4e on Microsoft Virtual PC (v6.0.156.0, both 32- and
    64-bit versions). It wouldn't work due to a strange problem with (virtual)
    disk I/O. Virtual Server 2005 uses similar technology so I think it would
    fail, too. Though, I didn't exactly give it a try. Hardware virtualization
    often creates more problems that software, right?

    --On Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:02 AM +0200 bituman
    wrote:

    > I couldn't got Plan9 to natively run on my machine, so i thought it'd be a
    > nice 2-in-1 learning experience to get it working under Hyper-V.
    > Since i wouldnt like the one thing i learn to be: this cant be done, id
    > like to ask if anyone had succes getting it run with MS virtualization?
    >
    > Sandor Nagy

  5. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Eris Discordia
    wrote:
    > I tried running Plan 9 4e on Microsoft Virtual PC (v6.0.156.0, both 32- and
    > 64-bit versions). It wouldn't work due to a strange problem with (virtual)
    > disk I/O. Virtual Server 2005 uses similar technology so I think it would
    > fail, too. Though, I didn't exactly give it a try. Hardware virtualization
    > often creates more problems that software, right?

    The "run from cd" booted up just fine in MS Virtual Server 2005. I
    never got round to installing it fully though. If I remember
    correctly, I started an install once, but had to turn off disk dma and
    then the formatting of a small venti (~3-4GB) took more than two
    hours, so I aborted. Got a "faster" machine now, so maybe I'll try
    that again.

    Robby

  6. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    > The "run from cd" booted up just fine in MS Virtual Server 2005. I
    > never got round to installing it fully though. If I remember
    > correctly, I started an install once, but had to turn off disk dma and
    > then the formatting of a small venti (~3-4GB) took more than two
    > hours, so I aborted. Got a "faster" machine now, so maybe I'll try
    > that again.

    i didn't think that dma was the default. if it is, i would
    think that this would cause more problems than it would
    solve. slow is better than not working at all.

    - erik

  7. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:16 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> The "run from cd" booted up just fine in MS Virtual Server 2005. I
    >> never got round to installing it fully though. If I remember
    >> correctly, I started an install once, but had to turn off disk dma and
    >> then the formatting of a small venti (~3-4GB) took more than two
    >> hours, so I aborted. Got a "faster" machine now, so maybe I'll try
    >> that again.
    >>

    > i didn't think that dma was the default. if it is, i would
    > think that this would cause more problems than it would
    > solve. slow is better than not working at all.

    Running another install into MSVirtualServer R2 SP1 just now with an
    old iso had lying around (20070329) and I misremembered. Disk dma had
    to be on, otherwise you get lots of i/o errors. It is the copydist
    that takes forever. I'll post back once I got it all up. I may try it
    with the latest iso as well.

    Robby

  8. Re: [9fans] Does Plan 9 work under Microsoft's Hyper-V?

    It will eventually install but won't get past a specific step after the
    installed system is booted. I asked about the problem on 9fans. No
    solutions... yet.

    Here's the thread: http://9fans.net/archive/2008/01/547

    --On Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:33 PM +0100 Robert Raschke
    wrote:

    > On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Eris Discordia
    > wrote:
    >> I tried running Plan 9 4e on Microsoft Virtual PC (v6.0.156.0, both 32-
    >> and 64-bit versions). It wouldn't work due to a strange problem with
    >> (virtual) disk I/O. Virtual Server 2005 uses similar technology so I
    >> think it would fail, too. Though, I didn't exactly give it a try.
    >> Hardware virtualization often creates more problems that software, right?

    > The "run from cd" booted up just fine in MS Virtual Server 2005. I
    > never got round to installing it fully though. If I remember
    > correctly, I started an install once, but had to turn off disk dma and
    > then the formatting of a small venti (~3-4GB) took more than two
    > hours, so I aborted. Got a "faster" machine now, so maybe I'll try
    > that again.
    >
    > Robby

+ Reply to Thread