[9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ... - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ... - Plan9 ; .... and any great travel plans to share? DaveL...

  1. [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    .... and any great travel plans to share?

    DaveL

  2. Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    > Any Brits going to iwp9? ...
    > ... and any great travel plans to share?

    yes, and "i must sort that out"

    -Steve

  3. Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    > ... and any great travel plans to share?

    Hardly a Brit and going via Italy, but I'll be there.

    ++L

  4. Re: Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    Hello!

    This is my travelling plans from Sweden;

    Tuesday 28th: Train from Trollhättan to Copenhagen. Fly from there to
    Thessaloniki in Greece (changing flights in Frankfurt am Main).

    From Thessaloniki [???????????] (second largest city in Greece) I'll
    take the train
    to Larisa [???????] and from there the train to Volos [?????]. To
    figure this out,
    I had to use 1) Thomas Cook rail atlas over Europe 2) www.ose.gr and
    3) google
    translate. As far as I have figured, OSE only show direct connexions,
    you have
    to _know_ where to change trains. But then, I don't understand greek.

    I have yet to decide if I am sleeping one night in Thessaloniki before
    I go to
    Volos, or if will try to catch a late train, giving me a whole day to
    relax in Volos,
    before the workshop begins.

    I am thinking of staying at Alexandros hotel instead of Park hotel, as
    the former
    seems to be a bit cheaper (I asked Park Hotel about the IWP9 discount,
    but it was EUR68 a night, and Alexandros was like EUR49). Have not
    booked yet.

    My flight back from Thessaloniki is on sunday 2th October before
    lunch, so I
    will take the train the day before. I have tried to avoid to tight
    margins, to minimise
    the risk of getting stuck somewhere. :-)

    /Jonas (this is by the way, my first post to this group)

  5. Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    > yes, and "i must sort that out"
    >
    > -Steve

    Like wise with the "must sort that out" part

    I plan to go via train nottingham - london - paris - italy - greece
    (including a couple of ferries)

    Last time I tried to sort it the timetables for Oct. weren't complete
    but it's time to look again now

  6. Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    > I plan to go via train nottingham - london - paris - italy - greece
    > (including a couple of ferries)
    >
    > Last time I tried to sort it the timetables for Oct. weren't complete
    > but it's time to look again now

    naturally, 5 mins after I sent this I got told about a feature film were
    shooting up until the Thursday so it looks like I'll be flying out last
    minute, hopefully I'll catch the train back.

    dammit !!

  7. Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    Public transportation from Athens to Volos is via train
    (you must usually change trains in Larissa) or bus.

    To reach the "Liosion" intercity bus station from the airport:

    Option 1, via the metro (about 60')
    * from the airport take line 3 (Line 3), direction "Egaleo"
    * at "Monastiraki" change to line 1, direction "Kifisia"
    * get off at "Kato Patissia"
    * walk to the bus station (+15')

    Option 2, via suburban rail and metro (about 45')
    * from the airport take the suburban railway, direction "Larissa"
    * at "Neratziotisa" change to metro line 1, direction "Piraeus"
    * get off at "Kato Patissia"
    * walk to the bus station (+15')

    A map that shows how to reach the bus station from "Kato Patissia"
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...f172375b58a10c

    Option 3, via bus (no idea how much this takes):
    * take bus X93 from the airport, which passes
    by the "Liosion" intercity bus station

    To reach the "Larissa" train station from the airport:

    Option 1, via the metro (about 45')
    * from the airport take line 3, direction "Egaleo"
    * at "Syntagma" change to line 2, direction "Aghios Antonios"
    * get off at "Larissa"
    * walk over to the nearby train station

    Option 2, via the suburban rail (about 40')
    * from the airport take the suburban railway, direction "Larissa"
    * get off at "Larissa"

    Note that the station "Larissa" is an abbreviation
    for "Train Station to Larissa", not the city itself.

    We will try to collect relevant timetable information
    for train and bus connections from Athens/Thessaloniki
    (some of this is not yet available and/or in Greek).
    I will send a note when done.

    > Perhaps some other guy could tell how to get to Volos from Athens...

  8. Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM, spyros lalis wrote:
    > We will try to collect relevant timetable information
    > for train and bus connections from Athens/Thessaloniki
    > (some of this is not yet available and/or in Greek).
    > I will send a note when done.

    Hi spyros,
    Is this information still forthcoming?
    Thanks for what you've posted so far.
    -sqweek

  9. Re: [9fans] Any Brits going to iwp9? ...

    We have placed some travel info on

    http://iwp9.inf.uth.gr/travel.html

    (can also be reached from the main page)

    What is missing is the railway info,
    which we hope to gather pretty soon.

    cheers

+ Reply to Thread