Re: [9fans] IDE socketed FLASH memory - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] IDE socketed FLASH memory - Plan9 ; > I can read and write the entire image using dd(1), irrespective of > geometry and I have used disksim to build an image using the second > geometry, but installing this on the flash has not made it possible ...

  1. Re: [9fans] IDE socketed FLASH memory

    > I can read and write the entire image using dd(1), irrespective of
    > geometry and I have used disksim to build an image using the second
    > geometry, but installing this on the flash has not made it possible to
    > boot a Plan 9 kernel.

    the fact that you can dd but can't boot a kernel hints that
    the problem might not be with the ide flash.

    could you explain more about what happens when you try
    to boot from this device?

    is it possible that you have a machine with boot sector anti-virus
    protection?

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] IDE socketed FLASH memory

    On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:04 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >> I can read and write the entire image using dd(1), irrespective of
    >> geometry and I have used disksim to build an image using the second
    >> geometry, but installing this on the flash has not made it possible to
    >> boot a Plan 9 kernel.

    > the fact that you can dd but can't boot a kernel hints that
    > the problem might not be with the ide flash.
    >
    > could you explain more about what happens when you try
    > to boot from this device?

    serial console log is always helpful.

    ron

+ Reply to Thread